Computer freezes/restarts when Gaming!

jsparks

Solid State Member
Hey, I bought a BFG 7600GS OC 512mb AGP card and 1GB of Kingston pc3200 memory yesterday. I installed them and am able to surf the web etc without any problems. When I try to play any type of game like Battlefield 2 or Archlord, my screen goes black after a few minutes (first freezes, then goes black, but I can still hear sound from the game even after it goes black!). Sometimes the computer will reboot itself after this happens and sometimes it won't. I updated my nvidia driver to the latest version and have uninstalled all the old ATi drivers. My specs are: 450watt PSU (almost new) - BFG 7600GS OC (new) - 1GB Kingston pc3200 memory (new) - 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200 memory (old) - A7N8X DLX mobo (old) - Athlon 2500+ (Barton, @2ghz (same problem at stock speed), old). My CPU temp currently is 52 idle, mobo is 20. I can max out BF2 with highest reso and get no noticle low framerate with this setup btw : D. Is there some setting or something that's a known problem for this videocard? Thanks!

Did you update your drivers then unistall the old ones? It possible you got a corrupt driver install. Go in and unistall all display drivers and restart your computer. Then install the latest drivers for that card and restart. Try a game out and see if that takes care of the problem.

Also your new ram could be giving errors did you set the correct timings and voltage in the bios. If not that could be causing the problem. Go to the manufactures website and double check the timings/voltage and make sure it correct in the bios.

If problem persists after you have done all that download a memtest86.iso image and burn to a cd and boot it and let memtest run a few passes and see if your ram is giving out errors.

Does the card need a dedicated power supply cable plugged into it? if so make sure it is plugged in. What are the recommended psu specs for the card? keep an eye on the 12v rail requirements too, cheapy psu's stating they run at 450w might really only be capable of say 300-350 (not saying urs is cheapy, just in case) also as the card is OC it will need more power, so perhaps the psu isnt up to the job.

ALso try using driver cleaner pro to uninstall the old ati drivers properly, (always leaves files on the pc even tho u uninstall it) then install the new drivers. On a side note, when u get it working, for extra speed try the XG tweaked drivers for ur gfx card, they work great compared to standard nvidia ones, www.tweakforce.com. hopefully ull be able to fix the problem!

Alright I checked the timings and they're fine, I turned off fast-writing, and used driver cleaner to get rid of the old ATi files, and have a giant house fan blowing into my computer and my cpu temp was 45 while gaming, and it still happened! I just used driver cleaner again and it keeps finding ATi files every time i use it, after every reboot. How the heck do I get rid of these! Is there a reg key hidden somewhere? Could that be causing the problem? Also when my screen turns black I can still hear sound from the game, and my monitor loses it's feed from my videocard (messege comes up on the monitor, and turns off like it would if it wasn't plugged in). And then computer reboots.

Oh and my PSU voltages look good. The PSU was bought new not too long ago. And yes the videocard does plug into the PSU. I put pressure on it when i was plugging it in to make sure it was in there. If I did it any harder I think it would have broke so I think it's in there good.

To get rid of all the files, have u used the cab cleaner option? and what driver version are u using? sometimes the latest drivers arent always the best.

I was able to run the same games before the new videocard and ram and they were running fine BTW.

yes but that was with the ati card wasnt it?
try reinstalling dx9 as well just to make sure, is there anyway u can stick theold ram back in to rule out that.

Alright I'll use the cab clean option, and install the nvidia drivers again. I'll also put in the old stick of ram. I tried the drivers that came with the videocard and I had the same problem, that's why I got the one off their website, but I still have the same problem. I'll be back after I do all this and try gaming for a few minutes.

Great, I can't even install my nvidia drivers now. I don't have any video drivers installed, and have cleaned all ATi and nvidia video drivers using driver cleaner pro (they keep coming back tho after I reboot). When I try to use the nvidia setup i get the error messege "The Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." GRRRR

Back
Top Bottom