Rep - a good thing or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been reading over this thread for the first time, but I personally believe that stuff like rep is used similar to post count in terms of bragging rights. I've been on other forums before where people create a thread to celebrate getting 2500 posts and so on, it all seems a bit pointless and a bit sad.

Rep is one of those things that will get handed out to people who favour each other like friends rather than something that's given out based on merit or quality of posts. I agree with a suggestion made on page 5 by David Lindon whereby rep is kept but it's kept private to each user and not shown next to each person's posts.

Oh ye of little faith David, it looks like it's coming fairly close to a whitewash so far.

How is it a whitewash at 29 votes to 23?

I've just been reading over this thread for the first time, but I personally believe that stuff like rep is used similar to post count in terms of bragging rights. I've been on other forums before where people create a thread to celebrate getting 2500 posts and so on, it all seems a bit pointless and a bit sad.

Rep is one of those things that will get handed out to people who favour each other like friends rather than something that's given out based on merit or quality of posts. I agree with a suggestion made on page 5 by David Lindon whereby rep is kept but it's kept private to each user and not shown next to each person's posts.

I absolutely agree, and if you look back then this could be seen to be quite clearly. I don't actually think there has been many incidences of rep war (as I think it was called) but I would like to see a breakdown of how much rep was given not for the sake of it, but by members actually giving it for useful informative posts etc.

Doesn't matter, but I wouldn't mind if it was gone. It's nice to have as a form of feedback from other members, but it just gets to be a hassle when members start whoring over it and whining about it. Pretty sad actually.

I think there has been many incidences of this happening.........

You've just joined, & if I were you, I'd test the water before judging us, as a matter of fact there are quite a few of us that make new threads when we've reached a certain amount of posts, there's me for one, each time I reach another thousand, one of those times coming up soon when I'll be making another pointless & sad thread, it's certainly not bragging, that's rather insulting in my book!
rant.gif

You've just joined, & if I were you, I'd test the water before judging us, as a matter of fact there are quite a few of us that make new threads when we've reached a certain amount of posts, there's me for one, each time I reach another thousand, one of those times coming up soon when I'll be making another pointless & sad thread, it's certainly not bragging, that's rather insulting in my book!
rant.gif

Well I'll no doubt see those threads when they appear, and I've seen none yet.

My view is that anything visible can be used as bragging rights, and stuff like wars over reps and post counts can be counterproductive.

I voted against keeping rep but I think it could still work really well if people used it responsibly and didn't just issue rep for the sake of issuing rep, if you see what I mean. Somebody with a high rep is not necessarily more helpful or a better contributor to the forum than the next person so reputation is not a reliable metric in my book.

I am sorry mate, but that is absolute bull, so the only reason Thelis came to this forum and has taken such an active role etc was to accrue rep?

I doubt it very much, people take part in the forum to be part of a computer forum not to see how much rep you can get, and if you do, well imo if you do come on just for rep then it would be far better that they weren't part of the community.

You have a point.

Which one of these causing whining?

A, A little green bar consisting of 10x10 pixels,
B, an avatar of whatever you wish,
C, a little line of text below your name.
D, all of the above

The correct answer...

D.

Very true. People need to realize thats all it is!!

Well I'll no doubt see those threads when they appear, and I've seen none yet.

My view is that anything visible can be used as bragging rights, and stuff like wars over reps and post counts can be counterproductive.

I voted against keeping rep but I think it could still work really well if people used it responsibly and didn't just issue rep for the sake of issuing rep, if you see what I mean. Somebody with a high rep is not necessarily more helpful or a better contributor to the forum than the next person so reputation is not a reliable metric in my book.
I can assure you that they are posted regularly, are you doubting me?, now, forget about points, click on "Birthdays", it's a calendar devoted to just that, members delight in looking ahead so they can wish others happy birthday, mine was in May, & I was very touched by the quantity I received, & I'm a mod, not always a favoured individual, I'm telling you this so you can see that CF is a very caring community, almost like a family, so I hope that you soon settle down, & treat it as such, at the moment you seem a trifle ante, you'll get to know me, I'm very plain speaking, there's no bull, I say what I mean, others will tell you that, useful tips; respect other members, respect mods, make helpful constructive posts, abide by the rules & you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom