Best Computer

ive tryed pre-made system before but i found myself stripping it and starting over from scratch

Well it sounds like you definately need to go dual core. Thats pretty much the norm on all computer today anyways I guess. Most of the systems your going to be looking at in best buy are going to come with Vista as the operating system. Here's what you want to get a good experience IE not dragging and quick snappy performance.

You want a Core2duo processor for the best CPU. Most of them will be configured with most likely E6400 processors which will do you just fine. You'll want to make sure you have at least 2 gigs of ram. Most are likely to have 667Mhz ram in them try and look for one that has 800mhz ram in them.

3rd you want a dedicated Graphics card do not buy anything with intergrated video. Not sure what the norm is for harddrives as far as prebuilts i'll assume 250gig-400gig drives. If you use it as a media center you'll want at least a 400 gig drive that should give you a easy 125hrs of high quality recorded tv or alot more radio stations recorded.

I'd recommend seeing if they have the 64bit option of Vista Home Premium you'll get a better experience since you'll be recording lots of radio stuff. Much more user friendly the 64bit just future proofs your PC by not locking you in down the road at 3.25gigs.
64-bit really isn't too important right now. The problem with your recommendations is that it is way over they're listed budget. No way will you find a computer that beefy for $800, especially if it comes with your monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

EDIT: ok I lied, here is a system for under $800 that would suit the needs for this situation:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8297112&type=product&id=1173577698398
Only problem is that you need to upgrade the video card if you want to play games and what not.

MooseMan, my husband was wondering why you like the one from BestBuy that you posted a link on over this one ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8399299&type=product&id=1179877502628

Charlene
64-bit really isn't too important right now. The problem with your recommendations is that it is way over they're listed budget. No way will you find a computer that beefy for $800, especially if it comes with your monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

EDIT: ok I lied, here is a system for under $800 that would suit the needs for this situation:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8297112&type=product&id=1173577698398
Only problem is that you need to upgrade the video card if you want to play games and what not.

Well here are the difference I see.

You selected a AMD 5000+ system. He selected a E4400 core2duo system. I prefer the intel but that AMD is probally actually slightly faster overal than the E4400.

Second ram wise I see the AMD has 3gigs of PC5300 and the Intel has 2 gigs of PC4200

3rd AMD has 400gig HD and Intel has 500gig

4th Graphics AMD 6150se intel intergrated

5th TV tuner AMD no Intel yes

both have dual dvdrw drives.

See this is what I mean about buying prebuilts you can't configure the options. The AMD leads in the ram 3gigs vs 2gigs plus pc5300 not pc4200 but loses 100gigs harddrive space. AMD does not have a tv but the intel does. The AMD system probally has a slightly faster cpu over the E4400 intel.

They both include Vista Home Premium.

Do you want or need a TV tuner card? Thats why the intel only has 2gigs of ram they supplement the 3rd gig to put the TV tuner card and extra 100gig HD in. PC companys do that all the time increase one thing and take away from something else to get the same price.

If you don't need the TV card go with the AMD system if you need it go with the Intel. You can always buy a 3rd stick of ram for probally $50 bucks.

Thanks, MattieDaShark83 , I really dont need the TV Tuner, my tv in my office has been fading on me (volume fading) , and my husband was buying me another one , and the TV Tuner would have be nice but I dont really need it. I dont think I could get my favorite shows like SciFi channel on it. Not sure how the tV tuner works anyway.

Back
Top Bottom