wireless router and laptop

andrewmitchell1

Beta member
hi, i don't know much about computers so i came here i was hoping some of you people could help me out with so info i need.

i am moving houses soon and i am thinking about getting a laptop but i have a desktop at the moment that will be in the study. i will either have broadband or cable and i wanted to know what i need to get to make it so i can use the internet on the desktop pc in the study and the laptop which i want to use all over the house. so could you please tell me what i would need to make this work? also i need to know if you can use the internet on the desktop pc and the laptop at the same time like if my mum is on the desktop and im on a laptop could we both be using the internet at the same time?

another question i need help with is if i had a lcd or plasma tv could i connect the laptop to it and play the movies off the laptop and watch them on the plasma/lcd?

Thankyou in advance and i hope you can help me out thanks.

To use your desktop and your laptop on line you will need to get a router, you can use your desktop as the host and run your laptop of it wireless, and yes you can both be on line at the same time you don't even need your host computer to be on to run your laptop, most routers will also allow multiple computers to run so you could run a laptop in every room if needed.

depends if both the laptop and plasma have the same sockets. my laptop only has a vga port which kind of sucks but that would still do the job.
i think if your laptop and tv had hdmi ports it would work fine, otherwise you might have to connect using the vga ports and then connect the speakers separate

To use your desktop and your laptop on line you will need to get a router, you can use your desktop as the host and run your laptop of it wireless, and yes you can both be on line at the same time you don't even need your host computer to be on to run your laptop, most routers will also allow multiple computers to run so you could run a laptop in every room if needed.

blackjack is right in my house i have 5 computers all on internet and sometimes all of us are on at the same time so all you need is a router and for the laptop there should be a slot on the side to put a card in the one i have in my laptop is a d-link if i went with anything i would go with a d-link:cool:

^^ won't work very well if he wants to use it in the living room and the modem is in the study. Just look around for a decent wireless router, you can run the desktop off of the wired connection direct to the router and run the laptop off of the wireless.

As for the laptop to tv. you can get adaptors if they don't have the same plug. A lot of new laptops have a dvi connection and you can get a cable that goes from dvi to hdmi and stuff like that.

^^ won't work very well if he wants to use it in the living room and the modem is in the study. Just look around for a decent wireless router, you can run the desktop off of the wired connection direct to the router and run the laptop off of the wireless.

As for the laptop to tv. you can get adaptors if they don't have the same plug. A lot of new laptops have a dvi connection and you can get a cable that goes from dvi to hdmi and stuff like that.

Yea but for my case it worked, but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom