new laptop problems

convergecult

In Runtime
ok so i have a new dell 1520 and the last few times it has been starting up really slow and sometimes it boots to a white or black screen and all you see is the cursor. also my recycle been on my desktop has gone missing how do i get it back? im running vista home premium

Don't know about the other problems, but for the recycle bin, right-click your desktop>Personalize. On the left side, go to 'Change Desktop Icons', then check the Recycle Bin box.

Has it always been running this way since you bought it or did this come up randomly?

To get your recycle bin, there is a program called TweakUI which should be able to give you the option to remove it from the desktop, so I would assume you can use it to make the recycle bin return as well.

You problem sounds like corrupt system files to me though, you may want to run a check disk and see if it finds any errors, when you do, make sure you check both boxes in the dialog box and restart your computer. It will take a while.

heres how you get the recycle bin back:
1. right click on desktop
2. click personalize
3. click Change desktop icons on the left hand side of the window that comes up
4. click the box beside Recycle bin if it is not checked.
thats it!

And i honestly dont see a reason why your lappy is starting up slow. if the specs in your sig are correct, the only thing i can think of is a "minorly" corrupt OS, but dont hold me to that. Do some things like virus scans, and defrag the hard drive.

__ahhhh, edit____ 2 people beat me to explaining how to get the recycle bin back, so credit goes to them for fixing that. :)

lol....thanks guys i will do a check. i should not have any viruses cause i have not downloaded anything with the lappy yet. i was thinking of reformatting and doing a clean install of vista but im not sure if that will void my dell protection plan. and no it just started randomly

Back
Top Bottom