Bad video card or bad drivers?

Jsy

Baseband Member
I am having these little multi-colored pixels that are all my screen. It looks like as if you put water on your screen and you smeared it.

And when I reboot my PC requires my start up disc in order to get passed the boot up screen.

Specs.
CPU: AMD 3800x
Hdd: 80, 120gig WD IDE, 320gig IDE WD, 250, and 400gig SATA2 WD
Mobo: Asus-E
PSU: 500w Allied
RAM: 4x 512 meg Patriot sticks
GPU: 7900gtx
Duel monitors: 19" Neovo 12ms 600:1, and CRT 19" ProView.

Regarding my monitor it isn't that because I'm running duel monitors and the weird pixels come up on both screens in the same spot.

I got a bad boot sector and I didn't format until recently and I've had a few of those in the past, but never that big of a deal. I just reformatted and I still have to have the boot up disc in order to access my machine.

I ran a diagnostic using WD Diag. tool set-up and all sectors were fine. I ran a mobo check, memory, and another hdd run and all of them passed using NVIDIA nTune. I am assuming the problem has to do the video card, but I can't find any diagnostic tools or firmware to attempt to fix the problem. I have had the card for about a year and just until recently I've been having these problems.

Here is a pic of the...The pixels usually get worse than this.

pixels
Pixelsproblem.JPG

7900 is a good GPU. I would say it would be the monitor or the drivers. Try going to the nvidia website and download the latest drivers.

I did d/l the newest drivers and it still didn't fix the problems. As for my monitors I'm on the most up to date drivers there are for both, including all my hardware.

Just try hooking up a different monitor and if it shows up there then you know it's the video signal not the monitors.

He said he already did that. Read before posting.

I recommend trying a bootable CD with a full GUI. Something like UBCD Windows or Knoppix. You can tell if it's something to do with the operating system or the hardware pretty easily.

I just called the tech support and thank God I'm still within my warranty. The tech said my memory was going bad on the card. Ty

Can anyone answer my question about me having to use the boot-up disc in order to get into windows even though I just did a fresh install?

Can anyone answer my question about me having to use the boot-up disc in order to get into windows even though I just did a fresh install?

Well you said you did a chckdisk and found some bad sectors. Next time your in windows download a harddrive diagonstic tool from whoever makes your HD and run it and see if your harddrive is corrupt. If its corrupt and not reading certain windows files thats probally why you need the boot disc to even get into windows.

Back
Top Bottom