Vista 64bit GPU overclockers READ!!!!

Okay maybe not a big deal for some but Microsoft just completely screwed anybody looking to get a little extra performance out of your card. If your running a 32bit version of windows don't worry it does not concern you.

Okay so I had noticed the other day that Riva Tuner was not working and wouldn't load the driver because it wasn't signed. Well thats the only GPU overclocking option in Vista currently so I went on a mission to figure out why it was no longer working.

Today I finally located what causes the problem. Here are wonderful friends over at Microsoft learned of a Atsiv kernel driver that by passes Microsofts requirement for a digitally signed driver. This is how Riva Tuner used to by pass it. Well it appears on August 2nd they released a update that contained software via Windows Defender that stops the Atsiv Kernel driver from working.

Which means for us overclockers we can no longer have Riva tuner on a simple boot. There is a work around if you have already installed it. After your bios posts and your boot loader loads in your harddrive you can hit f8 and it brings up a prompt were scrolling to the bottom you can select to turn off digital signing. Basically what Atsiv Kernel driver did but its no longer going to be automatic you will have to do this everytime you load Vista if you want to load overclocked settings.

Edited:
64bit owners listen up! DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!

KB932596 (It says right in the details it fix's a kernal patch lol)

Thats what screws up Riva Tuner. I just un installed it and confirmed thats the problem!

Heres the source Linky and Linky

Ahh, wtf, so now I shouldn't get 64bit Vista for my computer to use 4 gigs of ram and dx10? Blahhhhh

Lol, so unwanted.

Ahh, wtf, so now I shouldn't get 64bit Vista for my computer to use 4 gigs of ram and dx10? Blahhhhh

Lol, so unwanted.

It has nothing to do with your ram and DX10. I'm talking about the GPU (graphics card).

What it means is theres many different versions of graphic cards with different clocks. You can buy a card at a stock clock or you can buy a pre overclocked card. Either stock or pre overclocked can be clocked higher but with this new system it makes it a pain to overclock the gpu yourself.

Use Ntune to overclock, worked for me. Or is rivatuner better?

I will not use Ntune because i've heard of it really messing things up with my board. And yes Riva Tuner is way better than Ntune. Download it and check it out its a freaking really sweet program after you figure out how to use it.

Thats what i'm mad about hitting f8 and making sure I have to turn off driver signing each time is dumb.

It has nothing to do with your ram and DX10. I'm talking about the GPU (graphics card).

What it means is theres many different versions of graphic cards with different clocks. You can buy a card at a stock clock or you can buy a pre overclocked card. Either stock or pre overclocked can be clocked higher but with this new system it makes it a pain to overclock the gpu yourself.
I know, but the 2 reasons I was going to get vista was so I could have my full 4 GB's of ram and dx10 for my 8800GTS... which is not bad anymore, cuz I got the Superclocked version.

Well once again I post something and then figure out what it really was lol.

64bit owners listen up! DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!

KB932596 (It says right in the details it fix's a kernal patch lol)

I uninstalled it and I don't have to do the f8 thing anymore :) !

64 bit has no problems seeing 4 gigs see!

DXversion.jpg

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. cheers to that, genius!

mattie would you reccomend 64-bit or 32-bit i only have 2gigs of ram so that isnt an issue, i probably wont have 4gigs until the new windows comes out

Back
Top Bottom