how best to upgrade

Logan1

In Runtime
ok a friends father asked me to look at his computer and se what the best path would be for an upgrade.
the computer was custom built for him three years ago with this mobo

a celeron 1.8Ghz, and less than 256 RAM.

my first thought is of course just to add some more RAM up 512MB.

this would be the simplest plan but taking into account how old the computer is and the fact that the mobo is discontinued (and probably no longer supported with updates) i was thinking about suggesting a mobo replacement, and possibly a new processor.

he said he wants to spend around $200, and all he uses it for in email, word processing, and watching the occasional movie.

so what should i suggest? if he gets a whole new mobo and processor will he need a new copy of windows or will he be able to plug in his old HDD and boot up fine? thanks for any help and advice.

If he is only using it for a mail server,word processing and watching movies, I would just upgrade the ram but take it to a full gig if possible, If you start changing the mobo then you will more than likely need to change most things, processor, hdd, graphics card you would in effect be building new computer which for what he uses it for i don't think it necessary.

The motherboard didn't show up in your post.

But being that he only uses it for "email, word processing, and watching the occasional movie", maybe just a memory upgrade and a newer video card would be best.

It will go up to 2gb of ram so he could by two 1gb sticks of DDR, but I would go for 2 x 512 unless hes wanting to do some gaming in which case a graphics card update as well would not be a bad thing.

If that system is using the onboard video, maybe something like a ASUS N6200/TD/128 GeForce 6200 128MB AGP video card will make his movie viewing experience a bit more enjoyable along with an increase in memory capacity.

I bet just a nice cleaning of unneeded files, spyware/virus scan, and a defrag will help a bunch.

yes it is using the onboard video so i will suggest an upgrade in the area also.

thanks for the tips guys.

OK i agree with the 6200 Geforce and i think u should only go with 1 gb more and ALSO i would get a nice lil fan for the case so it ll help with the Heat

A computer is always better with an extra lil fan :D

Back
Top Bottom