DX 10.1 News

I am confused, the whole reason I purchased my 8800 (besides 640mb ;P) is so I could play dx10 games. I thought If I had vista Id already be playing dx10 games?

I am confused, the whole reason I purchased my 8800 (besides 640mb ;P) is so I could play dx10 games. I thought If I had vista Id already be playing dx10 games?

You have to have a game thats designed in DX10 otherwise any game is running DX9c even though your running Vista with a DX10 game. Games that play in DX10 are few so far I believe we have Lost Planet, Dirt, Bioshock on the 21st, not sure if shadowrun is DX10, Halo2, Flight simulator X may have missed some but those are the ones I know of.

If your playing something like BF2142 CSS etc your just reverting back to DX9.0c

DX10.1 is just upcomming version of DX10 that allows shader model 4.1 etc. It appears from the post that 8 series will support it with original estimates that only the 9 series cards will. DX10.1 is in a beta form currently as sp1 for Vista however its not available to general public yet and although it contains drivers for 10.1 although since we don't have a public driver or firmware update it will still show as DX10.

If you put a 7 series card and install vista you'll see in dxdiag it would just show DX9.

celegorm can you also confirm the new line as the 9800gtx or was my original post inaccurate and it is in fact the 8900GTX?

Ah, I see. Very informative, thank you very much :)

I have dirt now, and it looks spectacular on my dx9. I guess I will follow through with the dual vista boot idea soon. I hope I can "find" it "cheap" somewhere. lol.

Well if you have dirt it should be running DX10 natively in Vista. Although if you install it on XP it would revert to DX9. It may have a option though for running either DX10 or DX9. I don't know I have not picked that up yet.

I know when I play lost planet right when I launch the game it asks if I want to launch in DX10 or DX9.

You have to have a game thats designed in DX10 otherwise any game is running DX9c even though your running Vista with a DX10 game. Games that play in DX10 are few so far I believe we have Lost Planet, Dirt, Bioshock on the 21st, not sure if shadowrun is DX10, Halo2, Flight simulator X may have missed some but those are the ones I know of.

If your playing something like BF2142 CSS etc your just reverting back to DX9.0c

DX10.1 is just upcomming version of DX10 that allows shader model 4.1 etc. It appears from the post that 8 series will support it with original estimates that only the 9 series cards will. DX10.1 is in a beta form currently as sp1 for Vista however its not available to general public yet and although it contains drivers for 10.1 although since we don't have a public driver or firmware update it will still show as DX10.

If you put a 7 series card and install vista you'll see in dxdiag it would just show DX9.

celegorm can you also confirm the new line as the 9800gtx or was my original post inaccurate and it is in fact the 8900GTX?

Halo 2 isnt DX10. Was going to be tho, but than they ruined it, lol. They could run that one off DX8...

Well, from a marketing perspective, they're not going to release any new products when their current ones are already owning the market. Only when ATI releases something that's actually competition for the 8800GTX will they release a new card. Until then, we'll probably just see more overclocked 8800GTX versions and more price drops.

Back
Top Bottom