New Hard Drive/OS Dual Boot?

ghostFL

Fully Optimized
I really want to get a new 500 GB HD.

I am so curious if there is a way to squeeze out dx10 from my card on xp. Doesn't sound like it though. I just don't want to spend the $ or time to go out and buy windows vista, use that ghost program to transfer all my files and programs from drive to drive, gah, just sounds like a total pain in the arse.

Actually, there is something I have been wanting to do for a while, Id either make that my c drive and transfer everything and get vista on that one, but still keep my current drive with xp on it, and have dual OS? I can just change the boot drive as necessary, but my mobo k9n diamond automatically makes me choose the os to enter. Im really interested, because my 300GB c drive is on the brink of capacity, and so is my 250GB external seagate. Any easy recommended ways of doing this? GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I really want to get a new 500 GB HD.

I am so curious if there is a way to squeeze out dx10 from my card on xp. Doesn't sound like it though. I just don't want to spend the $ or time to go out and buy windows vista, use that ghost program to transfer all my files and programs from drive to drive, gah, just sounds like a total pain in the arse.

Actually, there is something I have been wanting to do for a while, Id either make that my c drive and transfer everything and get vista on that one, but still keep my current drive with xp on it, and have dual OS? I can just change the boot drive as necessary, but my mobo k9n diamond automatically makes me choose the os to enter. Im really interested, because my 300GB c drive is on the brink of capacity, and so is my 250GB external seagate. Any easy recommended ways of doing this? GREATLY appreciated!!!!

See Rudster's post [3], I think that the points he makes are valid, moderate your posts in future.

but ghosts post is fine, its monksgeorge21 post's im on about. he has posted several posts that arent helping anyone and he refuses to stop.

I am so curious if there is a way to squeeze out dx10 from my card on xp. Doesn't sound like it though.

not yet. Something might come up after a while, or it might not. But for the moment you need vista for dx10.

yeah dual booting is possible. When working with MS operating systems it's best to install the oldest one first. So you already have xp in there, now you just need to install vista. After you have installed it the next time you reboot it should ask you which OS you want to use.

brookfield- what the hell are you talking about? The guy came here to ask a question and you are telling him to "moderate his posts in the future", making it sound like he did something wrong. People aren't allowed to ask questions anymore? I thought that was kind of the point of this forum...

but ghosts post is fine, its monksgeorge21 post's im on about. he has posted several posts that arent helping anyone and he refuses to stop.

just to make sure, you didn't mean me right? I have 16 posts :/
that guy has like, 9k O_O

yeah dual booting is possible. When working with MS operating systems it's best to install the oldest one first. So you already have xp in there, now you just need to install vista. After you have installed it the next time you reboot it should ask you which OS you want to use.

Thanks man! I really love my XP pro, and I have heard nothing but negative things from my friends about vista. So I am really only getting the new HD for media storage and I guess Vista. But if that is my boot drive, I wont be storing programs or other things there, it will be completely blank except for the dx10 games Id like to play. So all I have to do is put the new drive in, change the default boot drive in my bios, and install vista? Then I can still locate that drive and use it for storage when I am on my XP OS/drive?

Thanks again!!!

So all I have to do is put the new drive in, change the default boot drive in my bios, and install vista?
yeah, that's about it. I've only been dual booting with 1 hdd so I'm not sure if you need to change the default boot drive.

Then I can still locate that drive and use it for storage when I am on my XP OS/drive?

yeah. They will both be ntfs partitions (unless you want to use fat32 with XP, but I don't recommend that.) so there shouldn't be any problems.

Ohh and don't worry about those 2 guys, rudster means that monksgeorge21 is posting useless stuff and brookfield is confused like always. :)

Back
Top Bottom