Second Report on CF.

Thelis

Golden Master
I have finished my second report on CF.

Here it is, I hope you enjoy it.

Computer Friends​
As I type in my screen name and password for what feels like a thousandth time, my mind flashes back to the first time I got on to CF. My Dell laptop wasn't working, and I desperately wanted to fix it. I typed Computer Forums into Google, and the first result I got was www.computerforums.org. I went there, registered and right away posted my question. I got a flood of responses, some funny, some interesting, and some actually helpful. In the end I get my computer running and I log off. Six months later I log back on just to see what was happening. What followed can only be described as amazing. Now I will tell you the story of my journey through Computer Forums.
When you first visit ComputerForums.org you are greeted by a light blue banner that says ComputerForums, and right below you can dive into the one of the many forums availible. New members usually go into the Social Lounge to say hello and talk about themselves. The Social Lounge is the place to talk about almost anything. There you can find threads that deal with everything from girlfriends to the latest AMD blunder. It is a place where people talk freely about what concerns them, and this Social Lounge is what separates this computer forum from other forums. In here people speak, and put trust fully in each other. Friendships develop, as do feuds, and it is incredibly interesting to behold all of the people interacting with each other, as only best friends do. The threads tend to go off topic and there is a lot of jesting. People jokingly make fun of each other and the atmosphere is very relaxed.
The next forum on the list is the General Hardware and Software Forum. It is described as:
General personal computer discussion and troubleshooting help goes here. Talk about your experience with computer products good or bad. Post pictures of your modified computer case, cards or new water or general cooling systems.
It follows the description well, General Hardware and Software forum is the true heart of ComputerForums. There new members often ask various questions about their... well, hardware and software. Then wizened computer gurus answer those questions. Again, there is a variety of solutions that are offered and that variety is often the key to getting the correct answer. Sometimes, ever the eldest members argue and do not agree about an issue. However, the nature of this forum shows who was right and who was wrong, simply because the advice can be helpful, and it can be not so helpful. The main section is reserved mainly for problems, but there are other sections as well. The Gallery is a place for members to put up pics of their computer rigs, cars, monitors, etc. The other forums in the section are not that frequently visited.
One of the biggest customs of CF.org is the answering of a thread about a certain problem. One of the recently posted thread had the title: Dual Monitors Question. The original question was:
“hey, i want to multi task more on my computer so i want to monitors
wats the cheapest video card that is capaple of doing this, i prefer 128 mb but if it has to be 256 mb then so be it”

The first answer was by Kage, a helpful and fair moderator, it was:
“Many cards, even earlier ones are capable of this.
What do you need the video card for? Just software? No games?”

Then the original poster replied with:
“well, i just need the video cards, like i wanna play cs while looking at my email when im dead
and i was reading about this on a website, it said i cant use 2 crt's i can only use 2 lcd or 1 crt and 1 lcd is this true?”

Later on in the thread, the discussion turns to cost of the graphics cards.

The original poster says:
“oh alright.. is that the one you use?
im looking at craigslist and theres a 7600 gs, is that the same? or is that good? it go for about 75”

And then,

“i thought mine was pci all this time, but when i downloaded cpu z its said something about agp...
on cpu z. under graphic interface it said version was agp, i doubt this is right, for whats it worth i have nvidia fx200 128mb
so the 7600 gs would work for dual?”

That is when Mammikoura, one of the most helpful posters on the forums replied with:

“Yes, basically any vid card with 2 outputs (those blue/white things) should support 2 monitors. I'm using a 6800GT atm, I guess you can't get new ones anymore but you could find some cheap used ones.
Also, if you buy a retail vid card it should come with 1 or 2 of those adapters.”
And that was that. The original poster not only got his first question answered, but he also got suggestions as to what Graphics Cards he should get and how much he could expect to pay for them. That is what the forum is about, helping out fellow members.
The next forum that I want to talk about is the CF: Suggestions, comments and feedback
Here members talk about the forum at large, discussing how to improve it and what is wrong with it. It is a great place to put feedback. David, the administrator answers these concerns frankly.
Now to tell you about the members themselves. Almost all of the people on these forums are very smart, fair, and good to talk with. DannyBoy, a recently turned guru, is knowledgeable, funny and great to talk to. Muz, one of my most favorite members is a great guy. He helps out a lot of people, and is never too self-confident, he also has a great sense of humor. Troy, a member with 1,700 posts is a great help and is general mature. Mammikoura is a quiet-ish but still very helpful person. Dude_se jokes around a lot, but also helps, he has a fair amount of rep and people love him around the forums. Celegorm as I previously mentioned is a great moderator, and beyond that, a good friend. He is very funny, smart and has a great feel for the moderator position. He uses it fairly and never abuses his privileges. His knowledge of the rules is perhaps one of the best on the forums. David Lindon, the forum administrator, is a calm person and a great moderator. He does not get mad easily, and works endlessly to make the forums better. He devotes a lot of time, and all of us members respect him immensely because of that. Alvino is one of my friends, and he has a great personality, and a hefty 16k post count. Unfortunately he had to leave the forums just recently, and already we are feeling the loss of one of our best members. Arrizx is another moderator. He has a very big knowledge of computers, and is a good mod. All in all we have a huge array of great members, and the forums would not be the same without them.

Nice one man , can i feature in one of theese reports one day ?

Gasp! I left you out. Do no despair, I will edit it! Ok, you are now in it. I can't believe I left you out.

Well I have to write these reports every month. My first one is somewhere around here too.

Thelis said:
Muz, one of my most favorite members is a great guy. He helps out a lot of people, and is never too self-confident, he also has a great sense of humor
Cheers man you dude are real cool

Yeah man, he likes em. My first one got like an A, this one I am hoping for an A+.

Back
Top Bottom