What is a good HSF for $50?

Yeah it should be.

It was replaced by the 7900, which has a bigger fan, but as long as your not doing too much overclocking, it should be okay I'd say.

I am doing quite a bit of OCing, but I guess water cooling is better for that.

Also, what do you guys think of the Tunic Tower 120?
Product.aspx

100% agree, look at my temps, there absoultely beautiful with the AMD version. yours could be the same as both our CPU's are 65 watt

lhuser +1 i dont allow people fall into the BS about spending 50-60$ on a good cooler

100% agree, look at my temps, there absoultely beautiful with the AMD version. yours could be the same as both our CPU's are 65 watt

lhuser +1 i dont allow people fall into the BS about spending 50-60$ on a good cooler

You have gotta be doing something extra to get your CPU @ 15C at Idle rudster. Unless you keep your room at 59F then its not possible to have a air cooling less than your room ambient temp. Unless of course say you put it right next to a air conditioner set on blast then I could see it going below ambient.

Source

Air Cooling

Air cooling is the stock method of cooling your computer. You need to get the heat off of the components and out of the box. Heatsinks are attached to critical components that produce the most heat such as the CPU, chipset or GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). The solid surface on the bottom of the heatsink absorbs the heat created by the component and then transfers that heat to the fins on top of the heatsink where a fan is used to disperse the heat. Additional fans are used in the power supply and case to draw air in through the front or side of the box and push the hot air out the back or top.
Heatpipes can give air cooling a boost. They use evaporation, capillary action, and condensation to do their job. When a liquid evaporates or vaporizes, it cools the surrounding area. A good example of this is an alcohol rub. Place a little rubbing alcohol on your arm and you'll feel the coolness as it evaporates.

Heatpipes pass through a heatsink, which is attached to the PC component. A coolant such as acetone or ethanol, which has a lower boiling point than water, is used inside the sealed heatpipe. The liquid is also under reduced pressure, which allows even lower temperatures to vaporize the liquid.

Heat entering the heatsink from the CPU vaporizes the coolant at the evaporator end of the heatpipe. This creates pressure that forces the vapor along the tube of the heatpipe to the condenser. The condenser consists of copper or aluminum fins that the pipes pass through and usually has a fan attached to increase the cooling. The vapor gives off its heat and condenses back into liquid. The liquid moves back to the evaporator by a wicking action and the cycle repeats.

Heatpipe technology can transfer heat thousands of times better than plain copper. The Thermalright XP-90C is a good example of heatpipe technology combined with a heatsink. Still, there are limitations; since heatpipes don't provide refrigeration, it isn't possible to cool a device lower than the ambient temperature of the surrounding area. If the inside of the case is 85 degrees Fahrenheit, that's the coolest the CPU will be as well.

P1010140.jpg

the fan on the left is blowing IN so it cools all the air around it, by ambient in my case is probably 59f i dunno but thats what everest shows, when i get my new PSU i could show a screen, but i think my more accurate idle is about 19c. 15c is just the lowest i have ever seen it at, ill update my sig ;)

The one lhuser recommended I had some bad experience with. I liked it, but it died on me in two months. Nothing against the cooler, but I just have bad memories.

I just ordered the Tuniq Tower 120.

Back
Top Bottom