Celeron with Vista Ultimate

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have had a lot of trouble since I upgraded to vista ultimate. Nothing will run smoothly. All my games slow right down, normal programs such as office crash all the time and it just runs slowly in general. I thought I could solve this by upgrading my RAM from 768MB to 1.5GB and that did nothing at all. When I read the vista minmum requirements I thought my PC looked much better and with upgrading the RAM it was much better than the recommended requirements aswell - it said I would need a 1GHZ processor and mine is 2.6. I came across in my bios earlier that my Celeron skt 478 2.6ghz only has a 128kb cache. Is it this celeron causing all these problems? I'm guessing that it is. I also found out from someone in these forums a few days ago that it has a 400fsb speed so can't really upgrade it without a new motherboard. If I upgrade the motherboard will I loose my Vista activation?
Some other basic specs are:
Powercolor ATI Radeon 9550 256MB
80GB IDE HDD
1.5GB DDR333 RAM
Thanks for any advice.

I almost forgot to add that it is always making that loading noise that computer make. It never stops and the orange light on the front (the one that shows it is soing tasks) never seems to go out.

ok, before you go out and buy bunches of hardware you probably dont need, run a few virus scans. viruses tend to slow down a computer like that.

I run a virus scan most days and I have also tried the file shredder on my whole hard drive and it didn't help

----Taken from http://www.techduke.com/2007/07/29/...quirements-processor-memory-storage-graphics/ ---

For adequate Vista performance, you need at least a midrange processor, which means an Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron, or an AMD Athlon or Sempron running at 2.663.0GHz. Faster is better, of course, but only if money is no object. Moving up to 3.2GHz or 3.6GHz might set you back a few hundred dollars, but the performance improvement won't be all that noticeable. You'd be better off investing those funds either in extra memory (discussed below) or in a dual-core processor.
----

in other words, your processor is only giving you enough juice to support Vista and no other programs.. if you want to upgrade, a dual core processor at 2.8 ghz or higher would be your best bet

no problem, man, always glad to help out.

i have to ask, you plan on upgrading that computer? a new processor would probably help that thing out a lot. if so, you know what FSB (front side bus) speed your motherboard can support?

Yes I am planning on upgrading it - a new motherboard, psu, case and processor. Also when I mentioned loosing vista I meant its activation because I'd be changing quite a few parts.

Back
Top Bottom