The ATi FireGL 3D Series: god of graphics or a load of BS?

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
I am sure you have heard of ATi releasing their newest graphics card series, ATi FireGL 3D. According to ATi's website, this card has 2 gb, thats right 2 GIGABYTES of VRAM. The question is: what the hell is 2 GB of VRAM good for?

http://ati.amd.com/products/workstation/techspecs3.html

I would actually love to have one of these cards, but im pretty sure it will cost 800 dollars or more, if not upwards of 1500 dollars. It appears to have everything you would need to have the ultimate gaming PC. Its just the VRAM. why spend so much money on that card for VRAM that probably isnt going to be used. For those of you who are interested in this card, be sure you are willing to spend that much money on something that is overhyped to the brim.

I say wait until the geForce 9 series cards. those will be something to watch out for.

So, what are your guys opinions on this card?

--i placed this in social lounge because it probably does not concern the General Hardware/ Software posters very much, mods, please dont move unless you see it fit--

That's a workstation card. For people who do 3D rendering and such professionally. It'll probably cost a few grand actually.

The difference with workstation cards is that they're designed to be rock solid for professional use. Gaming cards (Radeon, GeForce) are designed to pump out as many FPS as possible for games.

yeah, i knew it was for 3D/ Cad because thats what it says on the website. but think about it. i dont think at those prices, it would be a good idea to get one. workstation, gaming, or otherwise. its just a little overhyped. 2 GB VRAM... come on... nobody needs that much... like i said... wait for the geForce 9 series....

and trust me... i would buy that card if i could afford it... because i do some 3D modeling and rendering myself and i would like to see my creations "come to life"... im pretty sure that card would be good for games too, it just wouldnt be very stable for that use

modelers could EASILY eat up 2GB of VRAM think about designing lets say a halo 3 map from top to bottom you would need an insane amount of VRAM as everything is uncompressed.

also no way in hell could even a medicor designer use even 20% of that things potential

EDIT:
also the GeForce 9 series would blow chunks compared to that thing in modeling times etc., just like that thing would blow chunks in gaming :p

Back
Top Bottom