Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

hmm well
if your a gamer
after you see crysis qaud core is a must to run that game as best it can
but you dont game besides css
witch in gaming terms is an old outdated game graphics wise
u cant really base dual core on a game that runs on a p3 256ram and a geforce 2

Wel i'm a bit glad I decided to wait. My core2duo is more than enough for any current games. I'll probally pick up a new case/watercooling within a few months by then the new lineup should be nearing. Then pick up a new high end board and whatever cpu is tearing the market up. Most likely with a 9 series card 2. God I love how fast things move lol.

today's uarch is definately not at its limits. Look at the Core 2 Duo. Huge performance jump. What is at its limits is manufacturing process. 45nm is already incredibly small. Then after that is 32nm. Its not getting that much smaller. The reason for dual/quad cores is because its possible to do it. They can make them relatively cheap and affordable to the average consumer. Its not a luxury anymore.

i think they said they;d hit a silicon limit in the next 5 years or so, shrinking and shrinking, but they have ways around it. i.e using another chemical with silicon to make the electricity flow stronger, because if you hit a limit, the electrons would start to jump to nearby gates, making the chip simply unuseable.

As for quad core, I'll definetly notice a big difference running 3D Studio Max, because it's fully utilised to support quad core.
Many editing programs would also.

Dual Core programs are becoming more apparent also, but, you should be able to run more stuff at one time.

For example, with a dual core, running a virus scan, and playing a single core game is theoretically a possibility, or burning a disc and doing something that'd usually crash it.

There will be one day where Moore's Law won't work anymore. You can shrink things only so small before you reach the limit.

i think they said they;d hit a silicon limit in the next 5 years or so, shrinking and shrinking, but they have ways around it. i.e using another chemical with silicon to make the electricity flow stronger, because if you hit a limit, the electrons would start to jump to nearby gates, making the chip simply unuseable.

As for quad core, I'll definetly notice a big difference running 3D Studio Max, because it's fully utilised to support quad core.
Many editing programs would also.

Dual Core programs are becoming more apparent also, but, you should be able to run more stuff at one time.

For example, with a dual core, running a virus scan, and playing a single core game is theoretically a possibility, or burning a disc and doing something that'd usually crash it.
Yeah a lot of profesional multimedia editing software is utilised for quad core so if you do any of that stuff then its worth it.
Also i wouldnt wait for something to come out , cos once AMD has brought there processor out intel will be bringing something else out which may be better and you could end up waiting for ages . My thought on buying components is buy it once you have the cash buy what is available then . Also just cos it isnt "true" quad core that dosent stop the quad cores being insanely powerfull

There will be one day where Moore's Law won't work anymore. You can shrink things only so small before you reach the limit.

Moore's law is still in effect to this day. It will be a long time before we reach the point of diminishing returns.

What worthless comment. :rolleyes:
Don't be hatin' now, hater. :p

But seriously though, AMD is god for budget builders. I put a good system together for under $600 because of AMD's prices.

I mean really, you can get a 3200+ for $35. Unless you wanna throw bioshock/crysis/UT3 at it, that 3200+ will get the job done.

Yeah a lot of profesional multimedia editing software is utilised for quad core so if you do any of that stuff then its worth it.
Also i wouldnt wait for something to come out , cos once AMD has brought there processor out intel will be bringing something else out which may be better and you could end up waiting for ages . My thought on buying components is buy it once you have the cash buy what is available then . Also just cos it isnt "true" quad core that dosent stop the quad cores being insanely powerfull

Yep aoftware is slowly utilising more cores. A performance boost is said to be seen in Adobe Photshop when used with a Qaud Core Procesor, so is some vido editing and encoding software and definately 3D software.

As muz said new hardware comes out all the time so if you wait for something there will always be something come out that will be better so if you waited you'll be waiting forever. I think the time to upgrade is when your computer doesn't run your applications as fast as you'd like them to and when you have the cash to upgrade.

I feel AMD is the TRUE quad core here whereby Intel has them all separated by the front side bus. AMD has them all on the same die.

Back
Top Bottom