antivirus?

My favorite is NOD32. Another good AV is Kaspersky, Zone Alarm uses their engine now and it's very good. I personally like NOD32 better because it just seems to suit me better and if something ain't broke don't fix it :) I do like to test other AV's on my virtual machine. McAfee is awful IMO and I agree with DJ-CHRIS on that one. I used to use it a long time ago when I was new with computers and it always managed to crash my system and let stuff in that I didn't want in there like trojans and such.

Anyway here are the AV's I've tried and what I thought of them:
AVG: I tried the free edition. It's very good for a free program. If you want a simple, low resource AV with good protection this one might be right for you.
Avira Personal Edition Classic: This is the free edition. I like it, it has great detection and it does very well in AV comparison tests. The only thing I don't like is the pop up window but I think it's worth it for the protection it offers. Also the "Luke Filewalker" is a cool name for it's scanning.
Avast! Home Edition: Not bad, it's saved my parent's computer and does a good job of protecting with all of its shields. It is slightly heavier on RAM than the other two listed above but it's a good free program and the extra RAM usage is well worth it. The skins are pretty cool too.
BitDefender: I've heard this program uses the Kaspersky engine. It's good at detecting stuff but it's very RAM hungry. They do have a great online scanner that you can use for free though.
CA Antivirus: One of the worst AVs I've ever used. The updates didn't work half the time because their servers were down, and it didn't detect even obvious threats. Maybe I just wound up with bad luck, I don't know but I'm not trying this program again.
Clamwin AV: It's free, open source, and no nonsense. I use it as a backup scanner and it's never failed me yet! Also there's a free portable version for it that you can run on flash drives.
Kaspersky: I like this program because it's awesome at detecting threats. Their research lab is regarded as one of the top in the world. The interface is also very easy to use. This is one of my favorites behind NOD32. If you want detection that's good, but want an easier to use interface than NOD32 then go with Kaspersky.
McAfee: Seems kinda bloated and doesn't detect well. I've had too many bad experiences with McAfee so I won't use them anymore.
NOD32: My personal favorite. It has saved my PC many times and uses low resources while keeping my PC safe. The only con is the interface isn't exactly user friendly but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.
Norton: It was alright when I first got it, but it messed with my registry and caused my system to crash. Also their update method is rather strange and tech. support is awful. It's also a bit bloated.
Trend Micro PC-Cillin: A bit bloated for me and when I tried it, I had issues getting it to install. It also wouldn't quarantine or delete the threats it found. Maybe it was just bad luck, I don't know.
Zone Alarm: They've gotten better since they got rid of the CA engine and switched to Kaspersky. Now it does a good job of detecting and removing threats.

It's all up to the person and what their personal preference is. There's no FACT saying that one AV is crap and the other is the best in the world. Just go with something you think gets the job done and does what you want it to do.

EDIT: Sorry for such a long post :rolleyes:

Good review. I like CA antivirus. Well... more than norton. Updates work fine for me when I do it for customers at work.

I have tried the Panda av and thought that quite good but everyone slates it, when I tried it recently I used the 2007 INTERNET suit version which has its own AV as well, I only took it off because it did not have the ad blocker with it and nothing more annoys me than pop ups.

It's funny, the two anti virus's you hate most are CA and McAfee. These are the most widely used corporate anti-virus solutions on the market.

AVG is fairly good, it's one thing I hate is to somehow have an error making you reinstall the program every 6 months.

It's funny, the two anti virus's you hate most are CA and McAfee. These are the most widely used corporate anti-virus solutions on the market.

AVG is fairly good, it's one thing I hate is to somehow have an error making you reinstall the program every 6 months.

What error is that?, I Hated Norton for a similar reason, it was a sod when it ran out so you go to install the new version and it keep coming up with a error saying you have a previous version on you computer, but I had removed it, so I go to symantec website and they tell me to download this utility tool which I did but when you run it, it takes of my Norton ghost as well which I want to keep, theres no configuration setting with the utility tool it just removes all symantec products which is not what I wanted:mad:

Best free anti viruses are AVG free edition and Avast! Free edition.

The best antivirus of all is NOD32.

Good review. I like CA antivirus. Well... more than norton. Updates work fine for me when I do it for customers at work.

I guess I had it at a bad time. When I tried it was when they released a newer version so maybe the update servers were full or overloaded or something. When I didn't have update troubles I thought it was better than norton and mcafee.

I never knew those were the top two antivirus programs in the corporate world. I didn't try the corporate editions of those programs though. We have the corporate edition of McAfee at school and it's not as bad as the home edition. My old school had a corporate edition of CA which was better than the home edition. I've never tried the corporate editions myself at home personally but I've heard corporate editions of Norton and McAfee are better than the consumer editions. I do like CA better than Norton and McAfee though because it's not bad on resources.

I didn't really know their was a difference for McAfee, the corporate version is the ONLY version I have used since 2000. It was used at both school, and now work (And im the poor soul in charge of it at work)

I didn't really know their was a difference for McAfee, the corporate version is the ONLY version I have used since 2000. It was used at both school, and now work (And im the poor soul in charge of it at work)

I'm not sure if there is a difference or not. I've heard there is though. The corporate ed. at school seems to be more lightweight on resources and doesn't have the same interface as the consumer editions do.

Back
Top Bottom