Would an X2 3800 bottleneck an 8800?

Conspirate

In Runtime
Hello ComputerForums, it has been... five, almost six months since I have last visited. My computer has been working as fine as the day I purchased it in January of 2006; I owe much of this to all of you.

My question is this. I am interested in purchasing an 8800 as soon as the price drops greatly to power my widescreen monitor. However, it dawned on me that perhaps my X2 3800+ (2.0ghz) may not be powerful enough to run this graphics card to anywhere near it's full potential. Could anyone verify this for me?

Thanks. And take care.

No, it shouldn't create a bottle neck. While a few games are hard on the CPU most newer games are harder on the GPU. So while your CPU is important in gaming, its not as important as a fast video card.

Hey, you're from Woodland Hills. I was just there this weekend. There's a great Chinese restaurant by the Woodland Hills mall called "Yang Chow" or something like that. Mmmm, so good.

From what I have seen with 3D Mark, yes it will, even Core 2 Duo 2.4's bottle neck it. People have OC'ed their video cards, but the scores only jumped after OC'ing the processor in both video and CPU department.

Hello ComputerForums, it has been... five, almost six months since I have last visited. My computer has been working as fine as the day I purchased it in January of 2006; I owe much of this to all of you.

My question is this. I am interested in purchasing an 8800 as soon as the price drops greatly to power my widescreen monitor. However, it dawned on me that perhaps my X2 3800+ (2.0ghz) may not be powerful enough to run this graphics card to anywhere near it's full potential. Could anyone verify this for me?

Thanks. And take care.

Your processor is simply slow.

Yeah, it will. Like celegorm said, the stock E6600 even bottlenecks it. GPU technology is wayyy ahead of CPUs right now.

it'll bottleneck, if you can oc it at all you would notice a HUGE difference, my athlon 3200 bottlenecks my 7800 soooo much, i get 2k in 3dmark with it underclocked and 3k with it oced by 200mhz, kinda crazy, but once i get a zalman im gonna see how i can get it :)

Hey, you're from Woodland Hills. I was just there this weekend. There's a great Chinese restaurant by the Woodland Hills mall called "Yang Chow" or something like that. Mmmm, so good.
haha idk why that is so funny, but yang chow made me laugh for a long time... lol:p

Yes, it will bottleneck. But don't worry, I think even the 6000+ will bottleneck the guy.

if u have the time over clock that baby to 3 ghz with the right cooler
you will be fine

this still confuses me. if something bottlenecks something else, the thing that is being bottlenecked is faster right?

this still confuses me. if something bottlenecks something else, the thing that is being bottlenecked is faster right?

Yes. Think of it like a fire hose. The water is going fast, but the hose is narrow and slows it down, the watter is bottle necked by the hose.

Back
Top Bottom