Which is better and why?

CompMan

Fully Optimized
What video card is better for gaming? My EvGa 7900GT or a 8600gts?

I know that the 8600 will be better for dx10. But what about DX9??

In terms of pure power, the 7900 GT takes the cake.

However, the 8600 GTS has a better future.

No...that's a great setup. You don't get much better than that...besides DX10 capability, which I wouldn't even say is mainstream yet.

I don't think the 8600 has a good future at all, even for Direct X 10.

First of all, like with all Direct X 10 games of now, games are going to start being coded with Shader Model 4.1, not compatable with todays cards.

Then theres the fact its simply not powerful enough. It has trouble running some Direct X 9 games from what I've heard, so with Direct X 10, it has no chance.

Think of it as the 5000 series made by Nvidia a bit ago now for budget Direct X 9 playing.

the 8800 gts 640 mb how long u guys think that will last?
id say for a while right?
(meaning being able to play games in medium low settings with at lest 20fps)

The FX5000 series, as Kage said, were the first nVidia cards to support DX9 and shader model 2. Guess what? They're a freakin piece of sh*t.

They ran DX9 games SO BAD.. that even valve forced them to run DX8 instead with source.

I'm not convinced of DX10. Not one bit. There isn't a single game that is DX10 that I would be willing to pour money into right now. And that includes bioshock and crysis.

I saw so many graphical glitches in the videos they released after E3 for Crysis.
1) Lighting changing, when going inside to out. Its like it has to pre-load but its slow, so shadows suddenly appear as you look out of a window, or enter a room
2) Pop-up and loads of it
3) Reflections render slower it seems, the further you are away from the source
4) There was more, I just can't remember right now.

I believe the 8800GTS 640MB would last quite a while yes.
I would say the same for the 320MB version too, but not if you run at insane resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom