How are forums created?

i dont think anyone mentioned that vbulletin isnt free, although it is simple to install, although phpbb is the easiest. takes like 2 mins :)
I mentioned that you have to buy vbulletin.

And phpbb is good and highly modifiable. And not to mention, free. You just have to get a server, and that will cost money though.

It's not really for me. My sister's husband works for an engineering company and they want to create an open forum within their company for employees. Actually, he want to create it for the company (sucking up to the boss, lol) and his boss said it was a good idea if he can come up with one.

So it's not just VBulletin you need but Apache, MySQL, and PHP too? Sounds like a lot to do. Each one of those are installed on their own separate server?

no you just need some hosting that supports all them things
@tommy boy, oops yes you did mention cost

Oh. Whew, sounds like a lot to do. I don't know if I can help him set this up, lol. I can give him suggestions from this forum, but that's about it.

i forgot to mention that if its your own server then you need to make sure all these things are installed, although it sounds like your boss can just get some cheap hosting to run the forum off?

His boss doesn't know anything about forum setup. It's my sister's husband who want to set one up for him but he's not too familiar with it either. He knows the ends and outs of it, but never really implemented one before.

id just go with phpbb tbh unless someones willing to pay for vbulletin.
i know a good free hosting service that has everything you need and comes with one database if your interested.
then you just need a domain or use one of their free ones.
all you need to do is put a few files on the server and then type the install address in your browser, eg: www.example.com/phpbb2/install/install.php
im sure your sis's husband will be able to cope with it.

Back
Top Bottom