slave HDD in VISTA

fsteyer

Baseband Member
Hi:
I am setting up a newly purchased system HP Pavilion a1720n with VISTA Home Premium. On my old system I have a slave HDD to which I back up all my date.

I now started up my new system and it worked fine. Now that I add the Slave HDD the system only boots to the green Windows bar (which goes across) but never boots completely into VISTA. Eventually the screen goes blank. I did the BIOS setup and the slave HDD shows up in slot 5.
The slave drive is a Seagate IDE and connected to the DVD ribbon (plug marked slave) and power plug P5. My new new Master HDD is a RAID and connect directly with it's own cable. , does that matter since its on a different bus?

Currently there is no jumper on my slave HDD and I tried all positions on the dvd, including no jumper. Same result.

Also the slave is still set to slave but I assume that the new Master is set to Master by default?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks ....

The CD drive would have been set to cable select or Master by default. on cable select it goes by what ever is last on the chain (furthest from the motherboard) is master, but both drives need to be set for cable select.

I would check in your BIOS settings and make sure that it's set to boot off of your SATA hard drive, not your new slave one. Seems like every computer i've worked with wants to boot off of ATA hard drives (your old one) first when mixed with SATA (your new one).

Ya you'll want to make sure that you have your Vista harddrive set as the first boot. Do you have a OS on the backup HD?

It almost sounds like you had Vista partially installed on your backup drive and its booting as the first drive causing it to hang up because its incomplete. Make sure the drive you want to boot is first priority.

Thank guys:
Yes, the BIOS is set to boot to my VISTA HDD. VISTA start to boot but then it hangs up at the green bar going across the screen until eventually the screen goes blank.

No, there is no OS on my slave drive. It is connected on the dvd ribbon cable to the slave (middle) connector. the slave HDD (Seagate Barracuda) has no jumper installed, the dvd has the jumper on the first pair.

Thanks again for the help ... I have all my backup data on that drive and really need to get it going.
Thanks ........

Make sure you have those jumpers on the hard drives and your DVD burner. If you don't have them, they're like 25 cents for a bundle of them at a PC store. Maybe that's what throws off your boot sequence.

Thanks all:

yes, if I disconnect the old (slave) drive the susyem loads fine and the computer runs ok.

.... just to be clear: the master is on it own bus, separate cable and all [not the ribbon cable but the small kind for RAID (??)].

The Seagate asks for no jumpers as a slave. So if I have no jumpers on the slave and I completely disconnect the dvd from the ribbon shouldn't I be ok? But I'm not ..... any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again ...
well, I did the following:

disconnected the dvd completely.
Used the jumper from the disconnected dvd to set the slave drive to Master and connected it to the grey and black ribbon connector respectively. No change in either connection.
Then I set the jumper to CS and did the same .... no change.

BIOS always shows the drive .... on device channel three in either position 0 or 1, depending of course I connect it to the Master or Slave connect.

The moment I disconnect the slave drive everything is back to normal. Very frustrating.

Thank you for your continuing help .........

Back
Top Bottom