Hi!

And he does mean anything. People trust us enough to have us help them with personal problems. It's the kind of family thing that you don't get anywhere else.

If you have any questions about how things work, or about the forum, feel free to hit me up with a PM, I'll be glad to ask any question you have.

Good to know! :cool:

I'm currently using two machines. My oldest is a Compaq Presario laptop which has 512MB of RAM, 1.8 GHz AMD Sepron processor and a 40 GB HD. It's running XP... basically a bargain machine which is fine since I typically just use it for web surfing.

My new machine is a Dell XPS 410. I just got it about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. I had Dell put in 2 GB of RAM, a 250 GB hard drive, an Intel Core 2 Duo at 1.8 GHz each and an NVidia GeForce graphics card. The monitor is a 19-inch widescreen LCD which was something to get used to after using a laptop for a year. It came with Vista Premium pre-installed but, I did a fresh install to get rid of the Dell "crap-ware". I then partitioned the drive and created a dual boot with Ubuntu. Linux, of course, runs perfectly... and Vista, of course, is filled with bugs. I also added a second hard drive which is 80 GB and has mainly mp3's on it. It's about 5 years old and has a 40-pin IDE connector. I had to buy a converter since the mother board only uses SATA. It was fun figuring out which jumper setting was the correct one. The instructions on the converter said to set the drive as "master" but, cable select was the only setting that worked. Anyway, I'm very happy with my Dell and use it more often than my Compaq.

Ok, which nVidida GeForce. Second off, Vista is NOT filled with bugs. I run it perfectly. And lastly, why a dell, why not build a better computer for half the price? You seem knowlegable, so it would make sense for you to build your own.

Ok, which nVidida GeForce. Second off, Vista is NOT filled with bugs. I run it perfectly. And lastly, why a dell, why not build a better computer for half the price? You seem knowlegable, so it would make sense for you to build your own.

The nVidia card is the 8300 GS. Not the top of the line but, good enough for me.

As for Vista... I probably shouldn't have said that it's "filled" with bugs but, I have found a few. For example, I downloaded a demo for the game Dirt. It installed ok but, it would crash every time I ran it. Also, I have a Digg gadget in the sidebar. I have Firefox set as my default browser and every time I click a link in the gadget, I get an error message saying Windows "could not find the file path"... as if Vista were looking within the file directory for the link. Yet, Firefox will still open. I've heard others say that this happens when they click the Firefox shortcut on their desktop. These are minor bugs and I'm sure will be fixed... possibly in SP1.

I did consider building my own system but, I really purchased this machine for college. I decided purchase rather than build because I was concerned it wouldn't be finished in time.

Well, building only really takes a day and than after that its teh same stuff you would do in a Dell.
Welcome to the forums.

The nVidia card is the 8300 GS. Not the top of the line but, good enough for me.

As for Vista... I probably shouldn't have said that it's "filled" with bugs but, I have found a few. For example, I downloaded a demo for the game Dirt. It installed ok but, it would crash every time I ran it. Also, I have a Digg gadget in the sidebar. I have Firefox set as my default browser and every time I click a link in the gadget, I get an error message saying Windows "could not find the file path"... as if Vista were looking within the file directory for the link. Yet, Firefox will still open. I've heard others say that this happens when they click the Firefox shortcut on their desktop. These are minor bugs and I'm sure will be fixed... possibly in SP1.

I did consider building my own system but, I really purchased this machine for college. I decided purchase rather than build because I was concerned it wouldn't be finished in time.

The sidebar is like a roach infested area. Nobody that I know uses it, it takes up a ridiculous amount of ram and the gadgets are just stupid. The Demo for the game might work if you do the following steps.

Right click on the actual .exe file, go to properties, then compatibility, then you have to click Win XP SP2. If that does not work, then find the original .exe file from Program Files, right click then choose: Run as administrator.

As for building your own, it is not hard at all. You only need around six hours to get it all up and running.

Lastly- only Moderators get custom avatars, none of the members do. That is the way it is that fact will not change, no use even trying to say anything about it. David set his foot down and said: No custom avatars.

Yep, like me :p

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here :)

Don't get frustrated if you can't get on the site some days... for hours on end...
It'll all get cleaned up soon :D

posti.gif

Back
Top Bottom