router question

ross1

Solid State Member
hi everyone i have just ordered my self a laptop so i have have the internet in my room instead on my dads computer downstairs the laptop im getting has wireless connection but but dads is cable virgin media i think its called (broadband) well my question is what sort of router would i need to be able to have the net run off my dads to my laptop? i dont want to pay to much for a router so any ideas and would i need anything else apart from a router? my dads computer is about 2-3 years old, any ideas on what i need would be great thank you.

I don't think you need anything else but the router, once you connect that up to you dads computer then set up a network, the only thing you will need to do is encrypt it, then write down the key sequence so when you turn on your laptop and the laptop picks up the signal of you dads network you can connect, it just a case of typing in the key code you used.
There are lots of routers,most common ones are the Belkins and Netgear, look around for offers, depending where you are try Ebuyer if you from the UK.

yes im from the uk i dont know much about all this router stuff so thought it would be better to ask, well i will look in to a router i heard netgear wasnt a very good router, when i set this up does my dads computer need to be on for me to be able to use mine in my room.

Netgear is ok. Personally, I'd take Dlink or Linksys before them though.

No, you will not need your dad's computer right away. It is very very easy to just add a new computer onto the network. While you are waiting for the laptop to come in, you could go out and buy the router and get it all set up while you wait for it.

NO, once its set up thats it you good to go, I have a 3com 3CRWDR100-72 that i got from Ebuyer a few years ago and that allows you to run up to 40 computers of it,

right ok thanks for all your help guys, i will come back if i need anymore help.

iVE eddited my post mate, you dads computer does not need to be on for you to run your laptop.

ooops back again lol
which one do i need.
ADSL Routers
Cable Routers
Other Wireless Solutions

Back
Top Bottom