Computer won't boot up with new memory installed...help!

chrisoreeves

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I just bought a computer not too long ago from ascendtech.us The setup is as follows: Intel D101GGC Motherboard, Intel Pentium D 940 3.20Ghz processor, 80gb hard drive, Samsung DVD Burner. The memory that came with it was only 256mb PC2700 333Mhz DDR. I purchased two sticks of 1GB PC3200 400Mhz DDR memory off of eBay from fastmemoryman. When they came in, I took out the 256 and installed the two 1GB sticks. The computer would not boot up. After trying a few times, it wouldn't even show the BIOS motherboard start up screen. I tried installing just one of them, trying both sticks, and it wouldn't boot up that way. I put in one of the 1GB sticks plus the old 256mb stick, and it boots up just fine. I tried both sticks that way and they both work along with the 256. There is only room for two sticks of memory.

What could be wrong here? Is there a setting I could change in the BIOS? Is it because this motherboard can't handle 400Mhz memory even though it states that it can on the Intel web site?

Thanks so much in advance!

Chris

Support for DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs

Thats what your motherboard overview states, so, the PC3200 speed RAM should have booted fine...

We'll wait for more opinions.

Do you have another computer you can try the sticks of ram in to see if they work? The sticks could be corrupt. I assume you have checked to make sure you have seated them correctly.

Well from what Kage says it supports the ram you bought. Are you sure the ram is fully seated? If so pull out the sticks and look for any burn marks its possible you bought some bad sticks of ram. Hows the guys feedback you bought this from?

I'd be really nervous myself buying any computer parts let alone pre used computer parts off ebay because you don't have the support.

I put in one of the 1GB sticks plus the old 256mb stick, and it boots up just fine. I tried both sticks that way and they both work along with the 256. There is only room for two sticks of memory.

Thats what gets me... the fact it works when a stick of the older memory is in also, but not when the new memory is in on its own.

Thats why I at first thought the memory was too fast, and inserting the old chips in, simply slowed the newer 1GB chip down, making it boot, but without the older chip, it can't drop the speed.

But from what I've read, 3200 speed should run at optimum speed.

By any chance did he give you faster memory by mistake?

yeah i had a similar problem i had 2 RAM slots and i previously had 1 stick of 512 MB

and i bought 2 X 1GB sticks now with 2 Gb in it wouldnt boot i tried 1 512 stick with both of the 1 gb sticks and both times it booted so each stick worked.

in the end i sent the RAM back and when for a diff brand and then it worked fine.

for some reason my motherboard will take the gig sticks on their own but didnt want them together when i got 2 new sticks it worked fine so send em bak

Back
Top Bottom