Ram in vista

Windows can only see the 3.25, but the motherboard can still use all of the RAM. That is assuming my sources are correct, If you can prove me wrong, please do.

sorry i wasnt trying to tell you that it was wrong its just i always thought different.

but doesnt the OS have alot to do with what programs use how much memory ? therefore anymore than 3.25Gb would be a waste or would the motherboard take over from there and use the rest ?

In a 32 bit operating system, you can have however much RAM you want, but you will never be able to use more than 3.25 GB of it.

you see now you understand my confusion lol.

Let me put it this way; Since your operating system can't use more than 3.25GB , it is all useless until you have a 64-bit operating system.

thats what i thought, but if your motherboard can still use 4GB does that mean if your comp starts to lag your mobo will auto shift some of the load onto the spare 750MB RAM ?

It means your OS can "see" the ram but is written to use a limited amount called a cap. HOWEVER, other software is written to take advantage of all of the available ram.
While it's true vista is a resource hog I am running 2 1gig sticks in dual channel mode on high performance setting and it runs just fine.

sorry i wasnt trying to tell you that it was wrong its just i always thought different.

I know, I was just saying that as a "I could be wrong, so don't yell at me if I am"kinda thing. sorry if it came out differently.

setishock will you tell me the name of a program that will let My OS use all of the Ram

There is no program that will allow XP or Vista 32-bit to reconise all 4 gigs, things will use it automatically if they can.

Seti is just saying that the OS won't use the full 4GB, but some other programs will. Plus, you have 2Gb now and you said you wanted to get another GB, so you are still within the limits of the OS with 3GB of RAM.

Nothing will let you "see" more RAM. You'll be using what windows doesn't see with out even knowing it.

Back
Top Bottom