Web Site Security - banned accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajjyarden

Beta member
I was seeing that most of the security/hacking questions were for personal computers, but this is a question for a website.

Let's say you have a website where people register for accounts, much like this forum. If a user gets banned, what is to stop them from simply registering another account :confused:

-They will not be able to use the same email address
-The admin can ban their IP, which forces them to get a new one (not hard with cable or dsl), or use a proxy server.
-Their can be a cookie denying you from accessing the site (clearing cookies solves problem)

are you a banned member from this site?

banning is pointless. getting around it is so easy.
although you have to rebuild your reputation on a site and lay low other wise people will know its you. imo its not worth it. you get banned for a reason so move on

The admin can ban their IP, which forces them to get a new one (not hard with cable or dsl), or use a proxy server.

If the Administrator wants to be an a*hole he could easily block the entire netrange from where you're comming from. for example, if your IP address falls somewhere in here 71.152.64.0 - 71.152.79.255 he could ban every IP address within this NetRange or NETBLOCK: 71.152.64.0 - 71.152.79.255

So, if you have (ADSL OR CABLE) your kind of stuck. if the administrator blocks the entire netrange from your ISP this will not work.

Even if you configure your web browser to disable cookies and configure your web browser to work with TOR, Privoxy and Vidalia, you will be able to register an account however sometime down the road you will have a problem with the connection to the site due to cookie or tor connection etc...

If the Administrator wants to be an a*hole he could easily block the entire netrange from where you're comming from. for example, if your IP address falls somewhere in here 71.152.64.0 - 71.152.79.255 he could ban every IP address within this NetRange or NETBLOCK: 71.152.64.0 - 71.152.79.255

So, if you have (ADSL OR CABLE) your kind of stuck. if the administrator blocks the entire netrange from your ISP this will not work.

Even if you configure your web browser to disable cookies and configure your web browser to work with TOR, Privoxy and Vidalia, you will be able to register an account however sometime down the road you will have a problem with the connection to the site due to cookie or tor connection etc...

Unless your ISP is screwed up and you hop ranges all the time like me.

hop ranges

Please explain how *you* hop ranges all the time? Considering when you do visit websites using a proxy server for example, they like to leak DNS request which easily reveal you ;) TOR at leasts uses SSL to encrypt all data, and doesn't even leak DNS requests like public proxy servers.

Please explain how *you* hop ranges all the time? Considering when you do visit websites using a proxy server for example, they like to leak DNS request which easily reveal you ;) TOR at leasts uses SSL to encrypt all data, and doesn't even leak DNS requests like public proxy servers.

Ask a mod to reveal what IP ranges I use.

My ISP uses from what I see about 5-6 different ranges I can get an IP from. My IP ranges resolve to Hamilton (most likely), Toronto or Montreal.

Last night my IP was registered to Hamilton, ON, and this morning it's registered Kitchener, ON.

Ask a mod to reveal what IP ranges I use.

I was personally asking you DJ-CHRIS notice the astericks(*) around *you* btw, the moderators don't have access to that only website administrators. ;)

Cheers homeboy,
0x0161

I was personally asking you DJ-CHRIS notice the astericks(*) around *you* btw, the moderators don't have access to that only website administrators. ;)

Cheers homeboy,
0x0161

Admins, and Mods can see users IP address's

XP is dead: No more dodging the Vista bullet?

Bring out yer dead. Mark your calendars of doom in ominous blood-red scrawl, for today is the day that American software beast Microsoft Corp. chopped the retail head off its stalwart XP operating system and held aloft (the still unpopular) Windows Vista as its now unavoidable successor.
If the post made in the wrong section, please move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom