Why is my tv displaying HD?

Yeah...I think somehow, its HD.

I'm wondering if your monitor isn't simply stretching the image though...

are you truly getting all the pixels at 1080?

Yep, the picture ratio isn't alterted, nor does it have any sections missing (which is what i expected it would have, like my PC monitor does when i put it above 1280x1024). It also looks far crisper, as you'd expect from a HD resolution.

Regarding hascet's comment, i've also done some research and all sites claim this (rather old) tv to be non-HD. Hence my confusion.

Technically this is an EDTV, Extended Definition TV. It is not true HD because it is not an HDTV. It is what we call a fake HD. But it can accept HD signals, thus the component inputs (red/green/blue/red/white). Does that make any sense?

hmm that doesnt make alot of sense here your tv model http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/2-213302/TVs/Panasonic-TH-37PE30-Stand-Product-Info

yes ? well you can c there it says its not HD ready which means that it doesnt have the inputs for HD either the red, green and blue (+ red and white for audio) or HDMI so im not sure whats going on there

Where did you pick that from? I looked at that and it says that the TV has one component input. He is using his component input for the XBox.

yh it has a component input but its kinda like having a graphics card with a DVI ouput so its digital but using an adaptor on your monitor because your monitor is VGA.

Technically this is an EDTV, Extended Definition TV. It is not true HD because it is not an HDTV. It is what we call a fake HD. But it can accept HD signals, thus the component inputs (red/green/blue/red/white). Does that make any sense?

It makes sense, however, if EDTV's can accept and display HD signals, what's the difference between a HDTV and an EDTV? Is it simply the inclusion of interfaces such as HDMI? Is there a great quality difference between using HDMI and componant cables btw?

Well like I said, EDTV is like a fake HD. It looks like HD, but is not the HD quality of real HDTV. Some people can not even tell the difference. You could probably get by saying it is HDTV. But I work for Wal-Mart in the electronics department and HDMI provides a much better picture than component, but your TV does not have that connection.

Hehe, i probably just can't tell the different, as you say, to be honest.

Maybe it's because i have to use a componant cable even on my 32" HDTV because of the lack of HDMI on the non-elite Xbox360's, so i don't actually know what the HDMI signal looks like.

Still, i'm suprised that the TV will display a HD resolution, even if it lacks a HDMI slot. I imagined it just wouldn't display it at all, do some TV's which aren't HD do that?

Heh, yeah, that was my conclusion after a few minutes of confusion. I was just worried i might break my TV by putting the wrong signal through it but now it's confirmed that it won't, everything's all good.

Back
Top Bottom