Resetting BIOS/CMOS.

Mammoth

Baseband Member
Okay, I have a D865GBF and the power supply for it died, so I got a new one (Thanks to everyone who helped me solve the problem) and installed it, but it never got past the Intel splash screen. Some poking around Google and Intel's website revealed how to get into the BIOS from there. The instructions tell you how to clear the BIOS password, but they should work the same.. right?

Clearing Passwords

1. Observe the precautions, blah blah..
  2. Turn off all peripheral devices, blah blah..
  3. Remove the computer cover.
  4. Find the configuration jumper block
  5. Place the jumper on pins 2-3 as shown below.
  6. Replace the cover, plug in the computer, turn on the computer, and allow it to boot.
  7. The computer starts the Setup program. Setup displays the Maintenance menu.

So I got to the booting part, but it stays at the splash screen. I pressed Escape or something around there and away it went, saying it was starting Setup. But it never really did. Just sat there with the same thing. So what could be wrong now? :confused:

Try unplugging the computer and taking out the battery and letting it sit for like 2 minutes. Maybe the jumper didn't completely discharge the BIOS chip. Try that, and tell us what you come up with.

I did that for a few hours and nothing really happened. I'll try again for a few minutes in case the jumper was in the wrong pins when I did that.

Not to make you sound like a n00b, but you didn't leave the jumper on the reset CMOS setting, did you?

OK, put the battery back in, positive side up, and plug up the computer (after you set the jumper on pins 1 and 2) and see if it is still doing it. :)

Okay now, battery in, PSU plugged in and booted up, and pressed Escape to enter setup. Nothing much different, but instead of entering setup automatically it lists another option being Press F2 to enter setup. (Probably because of the jumper back in 1-2) I swear the keyboard is not being detected beyond that because pressing F2 does nothing.

Is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard? Some USB keyboards don't work until the computer is loaded into an operating system? Does your computer have a PS/2 port and do you have a PS/2 keyboard? Try that.

EDIT: Also check all your power connections to be sure something wasn't missed.

The keyboard is PS/2, so it works at least for getting into the screen which has the Setup prompt.

EDIT: Keyboard isn't messed up, just pressed F2 after taking the battery and jumper out again. Once again it's hanging on "Entering Setup"

I had that same exact issue when trying to start up my computer. Mine turned out to be a bad RAM stick issue. When I used a certain stick of RAM in my computer, I would get blue screen errors and my keyboard would only work for like a couple seconds, but when I used my good stick of RAM, everything runs just fine. I guess try to see if you have a bad RAM stick?

Back
Top Bottom