New rig ordered

^^^
That would be really nice, I think it load balances fairly well from what I have heard.

I still don't know what OS. I have a "trial" copy of vista ultimate 32 bit, but it will not support all my ram. I felt like buying 64 bit ultimate OEM, however it's expensive and Vista does not support my sound card.

I may just install XP 64bit.

^^^
That would be really nice, I think it load balances fairly well from what I have heard.

I still don't know what OS. I have a "trial" copy of vista ultimate 32 bit, but it will not support all my ram. I felt like buying 64 bit ultimate OEM, however it's expensive and Vista does not support my sound card.

I may just install XP 64bit.

**Cough torrent cough**

i think im coming down with something with these bad coughs.

n e way XP 64 bit is always a good way to go if i was you id just bung xp pro 64 bit on it for now and then later when you have a bit more cash you can buy your copy of vista 64 bit

Hey, nice build :)

I'm also thinking of ordering the Q6600. It's only a few quid more than the Core 2 DUO I was going to get.

Hopefully, you'll get the g0 stepping which is new, and supposedly runs cooler, than the earlier B3 stepping. its hit and miss which one your going to get at the moment.

Either way, you should be able to overclock quite well.

alright cheers,

well i think wen i get mine ill get and aftermarket HS just for the noise.

and probably wont o'c it i mean i doubt there are many programs that can max out a Q6600 lol

**Cough torrent cough**

i think im coming down with something with these bad coughs.

n e way XP 64 bit is always a good way to go if i was you id just bung xp pro 64 bit on it for now and then later when you have a bit more cash you can buy your copy of vista 64 bit

Friend managed to find a "very low cost" ;) version of 64 bit Ultimate which should work.

I'll just go pickup a new soundcard for 150$ for my new rig.

glad you got it sorted mate.

let us know how vista runs on that beast.

also when you install ultimate have a play with dreamscene.

watefalls are nice lol

Would a quad work on a standard 32bit Windows XP? I'm guessing it would...

Plus, is it possible to share cores with different programs, so that one processor doesn't run for example 4 programs you have running? I'm guessing Windows would sort this out mostly on its own.

just set affinity in the task manager. And yes, Windows XP supports only 1 socket processors, no matter how many cores on it.

Back
Top Bottom