no power to computer

thorpef1

Beta member
hey guys,
im just having a bit of a problem with my computer.
i went out this morning and i had scheduled my computer to shut down automatically, when i got home the computer was off as expected and when i went to turn on the computer, it did not turn on, but i smelt a weird smell coming from it.
i unplugged the power and had a look inside the case to see if anything was on fire or something.
it looked alright.
so i plugged the power back in and still no power. the case fan or the cpu fan don't even spin, but the light on the mother board is on,
i have no idea what is wrong with it.
i opened the front of the case to have a look at the power switch, still nothing wrong.
the computer was working fine this morning.
when we got home, the house power was off so something had set off the circuit breaker.
i have a surge protector on the computer.

can any one please help me as i really need my computer as it has all of my uni work on it.
i have attached an image of what my comp looks like inside

thanks alot, luke

Shot with Canon PowerShot A530 at 2007-08-09

Sounds like the power supply may have had a problem between shutting down and the power outage. Did you figure out where in the computer the weird smell came from? If you have another power supply you should switch it out and see how it goes.

have you tried shorting the power jumpers yourself with a screwdriver.

take the jumper off that goes to your power switch on your case and connect the 2 pins with anything metal.

screwdriver, paperclip n e thing. jus to eliminate that as the problem.

but if you say u smelt somethign funny could b ur PSU that fried

alright,
i short circuited the power switch like you said and still no difference.
last night i remembered for the past month of so, whenever turned my computer on the psu made a weird sound, like something was rattling in it, so i had to disconnect it and then try again,
i am going to buy another psu today and i will try it with that,
is there anything else that could be the problem?

thanks

It sounds like a PSU to me. Those smell weird when they go out. If it isn't the PSU, you can always return it, right?

hey guys,
grabbed a new psu today n chucked it in.
its all good/.
thanks heaps 2 all that helped.

luke

I think that the fan or cooling system in your PSU broke and it overheated or something along those lines

Back
Top Bottom