antivirus confusion please help!!!

unni

Solid State Member
i am using avg 7.5 free antivirus and would like to uninstall it and move on to avast although my avg has already around 125 files in its virus vault which are used by some of my programs so when i uninstall avg would all these get deleted and affect the performance of these programs..or even stop their functioning.:confused:
need help

You could go into your vault and restore the files back from quarantine, then uninstall AVG put on avast then rescan to get rid of the infected files.

welcome unni.

what i cant understand is how a program can still function if a needed part of it is in a virus vault.

the way i understand the virus vault basicly removes the file and stops it from doing whateva it was therefore if it was part of a program im pretty sure the program doesnt need that file to run ?

also what kinda program are u running that contains a virus and needs a virus to run ?

I would be very careful if you choose to delete the quarantined files as they might be installed on a shared file with something else or be a key registry or system file that should not be deleted, you may do more harm than good and have to reformat windows if done incorrectly.
As AVG has put them into the vault as appose to cleaning them and removing them it is very likely they are important windows files or AVG does not have a fix yet.

thanx ,the reason why i want to uninstall avg is that it has stopped updating since a few days even though it is a free edition
whenever i try to update it ,it does update to some extent as soon as, it starts to update registry it shows "Avg update could not be completed" and so my antivirus is at present out of date...
so i decided to move on to avast...
would it be wise to do so???
avast better than avg????

hmmmm avg+avast
will that combination work or will they clash with each other??

hmmmm avg+avast
will that combination work or will they clash with each other??

If you have two anti virus programs then yes they will clash, but i think you could get away with one anti spyware and one anti virus...

what i cant understand is how a program can still function if a needed part of it is in a virus vault.

That's what i'm wondering too. Isn't that like the quarantine of AVG? If they are in the virus vault, they are infected, restoring them would do you harm.

it's true you can't run two antiviruses at the same time, they will indeed conflict.

and the best way to delete a virus is in safe mode.

-edit-

as long as you know what the name of the file is, just google the name for the fix.

Back
Top Bottom