an attempted hacker attack

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
Yes. My girlfriend's ex boyfriend has a band, and apparently the band's myspace was hacked. They thought I was the one who did it, although i wasn't. So they attempted to brute force attack my myspace account to get into it and destroy it I am guessing. I of course strengthened my passwords for any venerable situations, but I am wondering if he is going to try and get my computer next time instead of my online accounts. Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent hackers from getting in? I am thinking about doing windows updates since I haven't done any of those. I already have several software security programs that cover firewall, spyware, viruses, etc. Anyone with suggestions to further prevent hackers would be appreciated. I am not real worried, but just want the extra since of security.

Just make sure everything is patched up OK and your security software is up to date. Also close any unnecessary ports. Make sure all of your passwords are strong as well. If your password has only letters and numbers, not strong enough, put a symbol in there somewhere.

I once had a 25 character password with letters, numbers, and symbols, mostly numbers. I could tell them what all the numbers meant, and they still wouldn't get it.

Yes. My girlfriend's ex boyfriend has a band, and apparently the band's myspace was hacked. They thought I was the one who did it, although i wasn't. So they attempted to brute force attack my myspace account to get into it and destroy it I am guessing. I of course strengthened my passwords for any venerable situations, but I am wondering if he is going to try and get my computer next time instead of my online accounts. Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent hackers from getting in? I am thinking about doing windows updates since I haven't done any of those. I already have several software security programs that cover firewall, spyware, viruses, etc. Anyone with suggestions to further prevent hackers would be appreciated. I am not real worried, but just want the extra since of security.

If someone got his myspace, hes just one of the people that logs into a phishing site or something similar.

Anyone have any suggestions to help prevent hackers from getting in?

Ummm yea, install the windows updates for starters. ;* This is my personal favorite --->
I am thinking about doing windows updates since I haven't done any of those.

This box hasnt been owned yet? Yea, now might be a good time to update your system. ;)

Why are you worried about 'extra' security software when you don't even secure what you already have?

Also, I would recommend encryption on your system so even if jim bob gets in your computer system he has too crack the encryption in order to read the contents on the drive. ;)

But you shouldnt be worrying about 'encryption' right now, you should start securing your system.

I would honestly put a logger on your computer too. So if he does happen to get in, you have something to bring to the authorities and get him in deep. He has no proof that you were the one who did his myspace (he probally clicked a tracker thing like said above, or fell for one of the spam friend invites), but you will have proof that he got into your system.

Let him keep brute forcing myspace LOL! That will get him in enough trouble.

If he was *slow* enough to get his myspace hacked, he won't be able to get into your machine.

-Sam

well I did my windows updates and havn't had any more problems with myspace or anything. Plus, the guy sent me a message on myspace apoligizing for the threats that had been given, and that he was not the one that did it. Regardless, I like being on the safe side. I had about 67 security updates from microsoft :p The reason I hadn't done them was because I was afraid I would loose system performance. I havn't found that to be the case though so I think everything will be fine. :) Thanks all for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom