Fav Games Console

I've never been much of a console guy, only one I've ever owned was N64, which was admittedly very fun for me when I was like 8, but now I'm a PC guy. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Xbox360 though for the live features since online play is a really big thing for me.

any 1 know the equivalent pc spec of a PS3 or a Xbox 360 ?
I remember somewhere that the PS3 uses a 7-core processor (not sure of speed) and G70-ish graphics, similar to the 7800s. The 360 has a 3-core processor (3.2GHz, not sure how it compares to C2D/A64/P4) and R500-ish graphics, like the X1900XTX.

I'm not sure about the memory of either; I know they use much less than any high-end PC.

any 1 know the equivalent pc spec of a PS3 or a Xbox 360 ?

Hard to say. It's really an apples vs. oranges comparison. Consoles usually use custom hardware.

The RSX is comparatively close to two 6800 Ultras in SLI, but the Xenos is hard to compare since it uses a Unified Shader Architecture, though the core architecture of the chip itself is similar to the R500.

For the Cell and Tri-Core CPU's, it's another apples to oranges comparison since the Tri-Core is unique with three symmetrical processing cores and the Cell is in a league of it's own completely. You can't really compare the Cell to any existing desktop CPU.

The thing with consoles is optimization. The hardware for consoles might out power PC's for half a year then they're obsolete in terms of pure power. However, the amazing thing is that developers can optimize the software specifically for THAT set of hardware, which creates games that look almost as good if not as good on high-end PC's.

Got to be the PS2 in my opinion and the playstation was awesome in its time.

The PS2 was a great console for it's time. One thing I must commend Sony for is keeping the PS2 alive with great games even while the PS3 is out in the trenches taking grenades to the face.

Nintendo 64 For the win.

Heh, I loved the N64. The controller has to be the most original design to date other than the Wii Controller. I've always loved Nintendo's controller choices, with the exception of the GameCube controller. They actually know how to make controllers unlike Sony.

Sony's controllers are a joke.

at the moment, my pc, but console would be my old xbox, dont have a 360 yet, idk if ill get one, depends if i get a kick ass pc later :)

The PC isn't a console. :rolleyes:

Where's NES and SNES? those are hands down the best systems with the best games. Nothing beats them.

Seriously. The NES and SNES are legends in the console family. The games were simple, fun and addicting. Nothing fancy, just pure gaming fun. :)

I've never been much of a console guy, only one I've ever owned was N64, which was admittedly very fun for me when I was like 8, but now I'm a PC guy. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Xbox360 though for the live features since online play is a really big thing for me.

Yeah, that's why I chose the Xbox 360. Xbox Live to me is a very key feature that defines what an online gaming service should be like.

XBox 360. PS3 just plain sucks IMO, can't ever find a Nintendo Wii, and the others I just don't care for.

besides my pc my fav of all time is deff the 64
zelda is just to fun
but after that deff the wii
its so much fun and i can only imagine the games
that are coming in a year
so many are being sold and developer ignoring the wii (even if its under powered) is just plain stupid its already neck and neck with 360 in half the time

and as power goes for the 360/ps3 to pc
the ps3 bottlenecks its self because of the way the cell graphics card and ram are set up if configured the right way it could have been more power full
the 360 on the other hand has a tri core cpu
and if u want to compare them to a pc
360 would equil a pentuim D with 1g ram and a ati x1600 thats modified
to support some direct x ten
a ps3 on the other hand
has a cell with is a very different type of cpu
its about on par with the 360s cpu
wear the ps3 has the edge is the graphics card a 7800 moddifed
with is more powerful then a x1600
so when you look at it there pritty close in power
and were on par with pc's untill the 8800 came out

oh ya and u left gamecube out!!

and as power goes for the 360/ps3 to pc
the ps3 bottlenecks its self because of the way the cell graphics card and ram are set up if configured the right way it could have been more power full
the 360 on the other hand has a tri core cpu
and if u want to compare them to a pc
360 would equil a pentuim D with 1g ram and a ati x1600 thats modified
to support some direct x ten
a ps3 on the other hand
has a cell with is a very different type of cpu
its about on par with the 360s cpu
wear the ps3 has the edge is the graphics card a 7800 moddifed
with is more powerful then a x1600
so when you look at it there pritty close in power
and were on par with pc's untill the 8800 came out

I'd have to disagree with your comparisons. It's an apples to oranges comparison. The hardware is completely custom and is nothing like PC hardware. They may have some connections to previous hardware, but you can't directly compare them to PC parts.

As for the Cell bottlenecking, I can't say much about that. The only people that would really know are the game developers, Sony, Toshiba and IBM.

Like I said, console game development is all about optimization. The hardware might not be as powerful has PC hardware, but you have a set of hardware that won't change for several years and that gives you time to work with that hardware, tweak it and optimize it so you can come out with games that look just as good as the PC counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom