3g laptop card to a home network.

superman22x

Golden Master
Well, I'm giving in to the mobile broadband cards, and not waiting for T6broadband or ATT DSL. I hope the cards updgrade in speed soon, and 4g will prolly be better than DSL.
But My question is this, I am buying either a USB or PSMI card, if I get either, I want to hook it up to a router, is this possible?

Thanks

you could, but you would have to connection share through the laptop or desktop it is hooked into. i.e. wireless comes in to the laptop via the pcmcia card and goes out the wired lan port and to a router. you could then use the wireless off the mobile broadband. Unfortunatly this would mean you have to leave that comp on to keep the connection to the other computers.

Ok, leaving it on isnt a problem, as my computer is almost always on, lol. The Lan port on my mobo can go out as well as in tho?

Well, I noticed they sell special mobile broadband routers for $200. I sure hope I dont NEED one of those.

yes, the network port can go out if set up for connection sharing. I did it when I first got my xbox till i got my wireless adaptor.

Ok, my parents just needed to be sure. I have dial-up currently, can I send out the connection through that network port, just to proove to them I can so they will buy the wireless router? Hopefully we are going to get the sprint card tomorrow, and I just wanted to buy the router and reciever than as well. I am thinking a wireless G router, we have a 2 story house, and G with speed boost should be plenty.

depends what router you have, ie: what ports it has. its just like plugging a modem into a router. you use the modem to get the internet connection and then the router to transmit wireless and share the connection

Doesnt a router work like a network switch? I just plug in a cat5 cable and, bang, it works? I just need to know how to send internet signel out from my computer, through the network adaptor, how do I do that?

go to network connections, select your wireless connection - right click and hit properties. go to the advanced tab, and check allow other network users to use this connection. that should get you up and running.

I have vista and I cant seen to find that... I need some more help, lol. I went to network, and the devices werent there, so I went to connect too, click the wireless connection, and went into properties, but there was no advanced tab or anything.

I think I found it. NVM, I will test it later when my dad gets home.

Back
Top Bottom