Computer died..

Mammoth

Baseband Member
Okay, my sister was on our computer doing something normal when it died. I don't really know what happened, but it seems to not be the power supply, as there is a green light on the motherboard that lights up when it's plugged in and there's a green light on the front panel. I really don't have a clue as to what could be broken.. :confused:

Motherboard Specs

Does the PC turn on at all? If it does, can you hear any fans turning? You gotta be a little more specific on what is going on. What was she doing when it died? Did the computer turn off or just go blank? Let us know.

Does the PC turn on at all? If it does, can you hear any fans turning? You gotta be a little more specific on what is going on. What was she doing when it died? Did the computer turn off or just go blank? Let us know.

Ah I thought I was being too vague. :eek:

...And no absolutely nothing happens. It's as if the power button is disconnected. (Which I suspect could be the problem, but the power light is on..)

From experiance I can say that just because the board is showing it's geting some power, that doesn't mean it's getting all the power it needs to boot (+12 could be bad for instance).

More info like jervin asked would be nice. If it is possible try a different power supply.

Do me a favor and check all the internal and external connections to see if something didn't get gimmied loose and is causing a short-circuit, including disk cables, etc. Let me know what you find, and we will continue from there.

If all cables are connected, try a different power supply, as celegorm said.

@ celegorm, you have a habit of sliding right by me. :D

Everything's in nice and snug as it should be, because this is the first time I've opened the case. I can't see what's up with the front panel because the design of the case pretty much requires me ripping off the entire front.

I doubt it would be anything like that. Do you have a spare power supply to test it?

EDIT: The reason I ask is because even though it is powering two little LEDs on your computer doesn't mean it is putting out sufficient power to the rest of the computer, therefore causing a failure to operate.

If you want to try to see if it is just a bad power button (which I doubt it is, but we can check) un-plug the power button cables from the motherboard. They are usually black and white and come from the front panel (probably didn't need to say that, but just making sure you know), then short the two jumpers it was on with something conductive. My personal preferance is a pocket knife. If it turns on like that then it is your power switch, if not it's motherboard or power supply

Back
Top Bottom