I had to write a report on a community..

Thelis

Golden Master
And well, here it is:

Computer Ties.

As I prepared to submerge myself in the world of Computerforums.org, I thought over what I expected to see. I already knew that it is a huge and helpful community full of really interesting people, and I was anxious to see it from the eyes of a spectator. Before I could do anything, I had to ask for permission. I posted a thread that asked for it and waited.

In a matter of hours, the Administrator of the forum replied, and I was set to go. I sat down at my computer, and started wading through the enormous amount of user submissions. My first stop was in the Social Lounge. It is a place for members to talk about things not relating to computers, and just basic random talk. From there I saw what a truly tight knitted community CF really is. A lot of times users post their problems from home, and other users respond with genuine advice. Because of the Social Lounge, this forum became more than just a Q and A forum. People talk really openly and help each other out. I pick a thread on the forum at random. In it, a person is asking for opinions on his recently recorded song. He gets varied opinions, but that is what is so great about this community. Everyone seems to have a different point of view and when all the views are combined, a general opinion emerges that is much better than if the person only asked one person. The whole point of this community is so that there can be many different answers, and that if a person does not like an answer, he can read other ones.

In the General Hardware and Software thread, there is a thread that asks for help choosing computer parts for a gaming computer. ISOwner is on top of things, like always, and asks whether the original owner needs a mouse/keyboard/monitor. After he clears that up, ISOwner gives a list of Hardware that is indeed close to perfect. After that the original poster asks why a part should be considered, and get a response right away. Then NEED WOW NOW, a pretty new member jumps in and tries to save the original poster some money. Already with a lot of advice, the original poster still asks more questions. Connchri also offers some input on the video card. MattieDaShark83 seems to disagree, and says that the card Connchri thinks is inferior is in fact better than the one Connchri likes. Then they have a discussion about graphics cards. In the end, the original poster had his question answered, and also had a lesson about Graphics cards.

While the Social Lounge is the place for congregation and friendly chatter, the General Hardware and Software forum is the true heart of ComputerForums. There new members often ask various questions about their... well, hardware and software. Then wizened computer gurus answer those questions. Again, there is a variety of solutions that are offered and that variety is often the key to getting the correct answer. Sometimes, ever the eldest members argue and do not agree about an issue. However, the nature of this forum shows who was right and who was wrong, simply because the advice can be helpful, and it can be not so helpful. Of course none of this could be done without the moderators who give up their own time to see that everything is calm and orderly. One of the best is Celegorm, a member of only about a year. He is calm fair, but yet not too lenient. Whenever he sees that someone is getting out of control, he warns them. His judgment is not biased, and he treats all members with the same respect, even if they have one or two posts. He is both a great member, and a very fair and modest moderator.

Computer Forums is laid out in calm blue tones with small black print. New posts in a forum light up the noticeboard next to the forum's name, and me and other members love every single bit of it. The forum is a plethora of great advice, friendly banter and discussion on many different topics. It has been often said that members make the forum, and with members as great as these, how could this forum be anything less than perfect?

Again thank you everybody!

I'm touched man. Great essay overall. I don't think I could find a way to improve the way that was written.

+1

{Edit} How long did it take you to write that?

Thanks guys, that took me around three and a half hours to write, then another half hour to edit it after I was done.

P.S. Third bar of rep!

Thats awesome, I'll bet that is the first time anyone has written a report about cf.

Well, I put a lot into it. I did not just scribble something down.... I had to plan it and everything.

Might that explain why you haven't been on as much as you usually are the past few days?

I already repped you, so I can't add in more, but I think it would deserve another one. Oh well, I'll remember it when I can get to you.

Back
Top Bottom