I'm desperate....

N0 F34R 1488

Baseband Member
I really need help from SOMEONE!...I've just built my computer and I'm trying to boot it for the first time but when I turn it on, most of the time, nothing even comes up on the screen, but once in awhile when something DOES come up, the keyboard never seems to work for more than like 5 seconds. I've tried unplugging and replugging everything, I've had the keyboard plugged in before I turn the computer on and before I even turn the PSU on. I've been trying for the past 3 DAYS to get my damn computer booted for the first time so I can actually play something but I'm just at a loss for what to do...

When the screen comes up, does it say anything helpful, instead of usual testing? Also, is the keyboard PS/2 or USB? Have you checked all your expansion cards to make sure nothing has gimmied loose? Let us know what you find.

Also, when the screen doesn't come up, does the monitor turn on with just a blank screen, or is the monitor still in sleep mode?

When the screen comes up, does it say anything helpful, instead of usual testing? Also, is the keyboard PS/2 or USB? Have you checked all your expansion cards to make sure nothing has gimmied loose? Let us know what you find.

Also, when the screen doesn't come up, does the monitor turn on with just a blank screen, or is the monitor still in sleep mode?

When the screen comes up, it goes to the front menu I guess where it says Press DEL to enter Setup or press Tab to show POST message. or it may go to another screen automatically where it lists the master and slave IDE drives and the SATA drives and then below that it says "CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded" and at the bottom it says "Press F1 to continue, DEL to continue" but of course I can't do anything cause the keyboard won't work. I've used a few keyboards, both PS/2 and USB.

Try resetting your CMOS by unplugging your computer and removing the battery for like 15 seconds or so. Then replace it. It sounds like the battery might not be working properly. Let me know what you find.

Try resetting your CMOS by unplugging your computer and removing the battery for like 15 seconds or so. Then replace it. It sounds like the battery might not be working properly. Let me know what you find.

Yea I heard about removing the battery but that still won't fix the keyboard problem. It is a brand new motherboard so the battery should be fine right?

It should be. Does the screen still give you a checksum error? Do you just happen to have an extre battery lying around? I sure don't. But here is a piece of writing from here.
Explanation: A checksum is computed as an error-detecting code, to protect the BIOS settings stored in the CMOS memory. Each time the system is booted this number is recomputed and checked against the stored value. If they do not match, an error message is generated to tell you that the CMOS memory contents may have been corrupted and therefore some settings may be wrong. BIOSes react in different ways to encountering this sort of error. Some will warn the user and then continue on with whatever settings were in the CMOS. Others will assume that the settings that were in the CMOS were corrupted and will load default values stored in the BIOS chip "for safety reasons". The error message will indicate which your system is doing.

Diagnosis: The most common cause of checksum errors in CMOS is a battery that is losing power. Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, and motherboard problems can also affect the stored values.

Recommendation: Follow the instructions in this section to address the CMOS corruption. You should make sure that all of the BIOS settings in the system are correct, by rebooting the system, going into BIOS setup and double-checking all the values (hopefully against a recent BIOS settings backup).

I think they might have given you a dud battery. Does anybody else have any other opinions?

My main problem is that the keyboards arn't working. The computer must be recognizing them because I've booted the comp without a keyboard plugged in and it says that it can't find a keyboard but when I do plug the keyboard in, the message doesn't come up anymore but the keyboard still won't work.

Right now I am focused on the checksum error, is it still there? That is a potentially serious error that has to be resolved. Also, you have tried using a PS/2 keyboard in a PS/2 port on the motherboard, cuz USB keyboards don't work outside of Windows typically.

Yes I've used a PS/2 keyboard. When I first turn the computer on, the top "Num Lock" "Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock" LEDs only blink one time and then doesn't work.
And yes the checksum error is still there anytime I remove the battery or clear the CMOS with the MOBO pins

Back
Top Bottom