What OS do you use currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the poll could have used a couple more options...I am currently using Media Center on my friends laptop here. At home though both PCs are running XP Pro. I am not going to add to the poll results though since the OS on the PC I am using now is technically not listed :p

Windows Vista. I will NEVER get use to this OS. I feel more at home with Windows XP even though I've been using Vista since January.

Windows Vista. I will NEVER get use to this OS. I feel more at home with Windows XP even though I've been using Vista since January.
Why do you say that? Vista's interface looks different but it really is not that distant from XP. I think once a person is used to the setup they will find it can be much easier and more pleasant than XP.

Why do you say that? Vista's interface looks different but it really is not that distant from XP. I think once a person is used to the setup they will find it can be much easier and more pleasant than XP.

I would love to go to Vista but it would mean me buying another scanner and I love the one Ive got, I contacted Epsom about drives for VISTA and they basically told me unless there is a demand for it, it was not there priority, so make of that what you will, it does not change the fact that I have a Epsom perfection 1200 scanner that wont install on Vista so im staying on XP home.

It's probably more of a visual thing. I had to make Vista look more like XP in a lot of ways by taking out the way the folders looked and how they're sorted. Some of the little things are hard to find like Disk Defragmentor. Only way to get to it is to right click on the hard drive and get to that option. Did you know that in Vista, there is no way to analyze the drives first before you defragment? That's what I hate about it. In XP, you can see how fragmented it is first. The scan is quick too.

It's probably more of a visual thing. I had to make Vista look more like XP in a lot of ways by taking out the way the folders looked and how they're sorted. Some of the little things are hard to find like Disk Defragmentor. Only way to get to it is to right click on the hard drive and get to that option. Did you know that in Vista, there is no way to analyze the drives first before you defragment? That's what I hate about it. In XP, you can see how fragmented it is first. The scan is quick too.
Yea that is one of the things I do not like about Vista. I don't know why they made it that way, but I plan on getting a 3rd party degragmentation program anyways, such as Diskeeper. Otherwise, I like how things are set up on vista. I don't own a copy yet but I would really like to. Problem is my computer can run it, but I owe my parents a lot of money and I would like to upgrade my computer first anyway :p

This site is like the ulitmate Windows site. Paul Thurrott is like a super genius to put together all this info regarding Microsoft. Good reviews too. Here's one on the new updated Windows coming out. Yup, it's in the works. The successor to Windows Vista. OMG, already. Unbelievable. We have yet, another outdated OS.

Windows "7" FAQ
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

Microsoft currently plans to ship Windows 7 in 2010, about four years after Vista.

Windows Vista was a major release, and Windows 7 will be also be a major update. (perhaps Vista 2nd Edition?)

It will include a new version of Windows Explorer that is being built by the same team that designed the Ribbon user interface in Office 2007. It will likely include some form of the "Hypervisor" (Windows Virtualization) technologies that will ship shortly after Windows Server 2008. It will also likely include the WinFS (Windows Future Storage) technologies, though they won't be packaged or branded as WinFS. Microsoft says it might also make a subscription-based version of the OS available to consumers, but that's still in flux.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1, codenamed "Fiji") will ship simultaneously with Windows Server 2008 in early 2008 and will include a new kernel version that makes that release up to date with the kernel version in Longhorn. Fiji will almost certainly include a revision to the Media Center software in Windows Vista as well. For these reasons, we might consider Fiji a major release for a service pack. Certainly, no previous service pack has ever included a major kernel update.

I am in the project of booting with drawers.
11E1PEC289L._AA160_.jpg

If I need to boot Windows, I turn on the key for it. When I want Linux, I restart, turn off the Windows drive and turn on the Linux drive.

Another project is to try Gentoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom