Questions about AMD duron 1.2Ghz processor

CPU-Z reports that it's a morgan core (unfortunately) and the voltage is around 1.824v

Now I'm wondering if .1 volts above what you said can affect this things heat signicantly.

I have a AMD ATHLON 1800+ PROCESSOR and it runs at about 1.4ghz but I have it overclocked so it reads 1900+ and runs at 1.57ghz stable, what I'm trying to say is your processor size does not match your actual run speed, when you boot up pause it when the writing comes up on the first black screen you should see your processor size displayed.

So is that supposed to be the source I can trust that is not mislead by the potential underclock my processor has undergone?

If your computer is running OK then I would leave it alone, if your still not happy then check the FSB speed in the bios, it will be, what someone else mentioned 133/266 , You can tweak it up a little bit if you want to speed it up, but if you do then take it up by by 5 then reboot and see if your computer runs stable, otherwise check your motherboard manual to see the specifications of your processor it may be set low on purpose.

If your computer is running OK then I would leave it alone, if your still not happy then check the FSB speed in the bios, it will be, what someone else mentioned 133/266 , You can tweak it up a little bit if you want to speed it up, but if you do then take it up by by 5 then reboot and see if your computer runs stable, otherwise check your motherboard manual to see the specifications of your processor it may be set low on purpose.

Don't do that. Your FSB is 200MHz, not 266MHz, so leave it as it is. However, your Core voltage is a bit high at could be the reason for your semi high temps. It should be 1.75 volts. This can be due to a wrong setting in your BIOS. so check that the core voltage is set to 1.75V. If that is set correctly, then if your BIOS supports hardware monitoring, have a look at check how the other voltage rails compare to what there ment to be. ie, 5v rail no higher or lower by 10% etc etc etc. If it is, perhaps a PSU replacement is in need. If all the other voltages are within the 10% tolerance, perhaps it's the motherboard thats the problem. Unless it is causing stability problems, I'd not bother going to the expense to replace it.

Also, as someone else has already mentioned, if you've never gave your system a gentle clean out - remove dust a grime build ups from fans, heatsinks and airflow ways.

As for the Motherboard giving wrong readings for your CPU, it's probably just one of those BIOS software bugs getting confused over a non-PR rated CPU and a PR rated CPU. But, if it really thinks its an athlon XP, it could indeed be deleberatly putting up the voltage. If you can, force it down to 1.75V.

Hope this helps

Don't do that. Your FSB is 200MHz, not 266MHz, so leave it as it is. However, your Core voltage is a bit high at could be the reason for your semi high temps. It should be 1.75 volts. This can be due to a wrong setting in your BIOS. so check that the core voltage is set to 1.75V. If that is set correctly, then if your BIOS supports hardware monitoring, have a look at check how the other voltage rails compare to what there ment to be. ie, 5v rail no higher or lower by 10% etc etc etc. If it is, perhaps a PSU replacement is in need. If all the other voltages are within the 10% tolerance, perhaps it's the motherboard thats the problem. Unless it is causing stability problems, I'd not bother going to the expense to replace it.

Also, as someone else has already mentioned, if you've never gave your system a gentle clean out - remove dust a grime build ups from fans, heatsinks and airflow ways.

As for the Motherboard giving wrong readings for your CPU, it's probably just one of those BIOS software bugs getting confused over a non-PR rated CPU and a PR rated CPU. But, if it really thinks its an athlon XP, it could indeed be deleberatly putting up the voltage. If you can, force it down to 1.75V.

Hope this helps

I apologies if its 200MHZ Ive miss read someones previous post, I will let conchri guide you on the core voltage as you have to be careful you don't fry you CPU running that to high as with altering your FSB to high

Well I checked the screen right when the computer starts and it also claims it to be an 1800+ I don't absolutely need the performance but I certainly wouldn't say no to it if it was there. But with it already running hot, an overclock is the last thing it needs lol

Took the heatsink and processor fan off to clean the dust out of those. While I had it off I tried to look for the marking that would let me know what it was but I couldn't see anything. Had a piece of something on top of it, like a solid piece of something. Is that that silver stuff someone was talking about earlier? If so it's already got that. Anyway couldn't read what it said. I took a picture of the chip with my camera phone but thanks to verizon being a bunch of greedy...

Well long story short it's very hard to get those pics off of that camera but for now, the processor looked a great deal like this:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/athlonxp1800/xp1800.jpg

Of course it gets my hopes up because that is an athlon... but perhaps the durons could look similar.

http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/intel/celeron13/duron11ghz.jpg
When it comes to all the little squares this one is unfortunatly a slightly better match.

It had the number 27067 in the bottom left corner. Not sure if that tells anything.

One last thing, when I put the heatsink back on I got it as tight as I could, I'm watching the temps and they're still around 60 idle. I'm hoping it doesn't have to be perfect putting it back on.

Well you should have but some more thermal paste on every time you remove the heat sink
Also the silvery stuff might have been thermal paste . In which case you should have cleaned it off and applied fresh . It might not have been arctic silver but if you do get some then apply it , the instructions can be found here for applying it
Even though this image is an intel did the silvery stuff look like that
6285.jpg
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

It was basically down to just being in the very center. Unlike the other board I have this one wasn't stuck on very good at all. As soon as I'm able I'll probably get some arctic silver, though we don't seem to have very many good computer shops around here.

In contrast to the headsink being held on crapfully by the remnants of the thermal paste, the processor was held to the board very well. I didn't want to take it off in particular, but I am curious, what exactly is holding it on?

Processors are held in place by the socket that he a tight grip on them
As for socket A i used to have socket A systems and i hated the rention clips for the cooler

Back
Top Bottom