My new computer freezes

Bob42

Solid State Member
I recently built a computer of mine. Now I want to transfer a load of data from my external hard drive to this new computer of mine. The problem is that it would always crash right in the middle of the transfer. I fixed the crash by reinstalling the drivers and updating the BIOS. But when I try the transfer again, it freezes, and the computer returns to the desktop state. Tried another external too and plugged it in different USB ports and the same thing happens.

I have replaced the RAM before thinking it was a RAM problem. I've also done memory tests using MemTest86, but no errors were found. Everything is connected properly, no loose connections. The CPU is not overheating. SpeedFan and CoreTemp says it stays at around 30C. One thing that I did note was that when I was installing Windows XP Professional SP2, a bunch of files couldn't be copied from the CD to the system, and they were skipped. Most of the files were .dlls, .exes, and .sys. Could the problem be the faulty XP disc that needs replacing, or is it something else?

Here are my computer specs:
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel RAM
Seagate 500GB hard drive
XFX GeForce 8600GT Video Card
Lite-On 20x DVD Burner
Windows XP Professional SP2

Actually it could be a faulty disk. My friend had the same type of problem cause his disk had a little scratch so like some of the registry was corrupt..

Well, there aren't any smudge or scratch marks on my disk. Should I just go out and buy a new one?

Well, there aren't any smudge or scratch marks on my disk. Should I just go out and buy a new one?

You should see if it works on other computer first. If it doesn't try to return it or get it exchanged before shelling out more money.

IF not all of your OS files have been copied then that is the first place I would have started, try and run a repair of the disc to see if that helps, if it doesn't then try copying the windows disc onto a blank cdr then try reinstalling windows with that.

If there is a scratch, instead of shelling out for another disc, it might be a more worthwhile investment to buy a CD repair kit to buff out the scratches. There are lower cost ones, then there are even motorized ones. Go to http://www.radioshack.com and do a search for cd repair kit. ;)

He might not need to because you can often get away with copying scratched discs, if the burn does fail then try a program called BLIND WRITE it very good at copying scratched discs.

I was able to successfully burn the XP disc onto a blank CD. I repaired XP without any problems. Everything was okay. But the same problem still occurs. The computer kind of stops in the middle of the transfer and it returns to the desktop. I'm thinking of just transferring little bits of data at a time instead of the whole 10gb. I'm not sure of what else could be causing this to happen.

Can you burn the data onto a dvd and then pop it in the new hdd and drag it of the dvd?

Back
Top Bottom