So, what are my chances here

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
A few local computer shops are in need of some help. I don't know what the requirements are for the job, and I don't want to call yet because I don't want to look stupid. I'm only 16 years old, but I do have a lot of experience with computers. I can easily diagnose a problem with hardware and software. I'm sure the job doesn't need this, but I have some experience with Java, C++, HTML, and I'm learning XML just for the hell of it.

So, I just want to know, from my experience alone, if I stand a chance. If I have that down, then I will find out the other requirements later.

For those who ask, I pretty much excel at installing and configuring hardware. Graphics cards, RAM, optical drives, and the list goes on. With software, I'm not that experienced, but I can diagnose and repair a lot of problems that way. Programming wise, I'm still a n00b, as you l337 people would say, but I'm catching on quick. HTML is the only language I can program with off the top of my head.

Naah, you really don't have a chance unless you have something like experience or certifications to back your claims up.

yeah, well, I'm going to have documented experience in about 4 months, after i get a few computer classes in at school... that will help some, i guess

I don't see it hurting if you try. It's not the end of the world if you try and aren't accepted. Celegorm works at a computer repair shop and he's only 16 or 17 I think. He just recently got his certifications from what he posted, and was working there before getting them. I think you got a shot at it. I would try more to get a job at a PC shop if I lived closer to them. I'm 17 with no certifications, just over 2 years hands on experience, and 1 year reselling them.

I didn't have any certifications or true on-the-job experiance when I got my job fixing computers @ the nice age of 16. They just ran me through some things to make sure I actually knew what I was doing. Some places though, will require one year on the job, and/or a certification but you won't find that out unless you try.

{Edit} just fully read Jesusfrk's post. Like I said, I was 16 when I got the job, and I'm only 17 now. He was also right in that I just got the certification. Which, my company is deciding to pay me back a bit for if I have heard right :)

Bottom line, it won't hurt you to try. Worse come to worse, you start off in sales and prove your knowledge there then merge into a service tech.

It would be hard without certificates, I mean if someone else comes along with their certs and degree's or whatever, they are definetly going to get the job over you. You need certs and quals to be sure of a job.

you say "local computer shops". i recon they will be small and wont really give 2 s**t's about certificates and stuff. as long as you have the experience and knowledge then you have a chance. although depends what you were doing. if they asked you to code a new website they may want some certificates.
my friend worked in a pc shop once and he got to build stuff

You are at the right age for learning, you have shown us you have some knowledge of computers, so if you put that down on your application form and also add a little explanation why you think you would do well for them, and say you are hard working, a good listener and work well with other people or as an individual and could turn out to be a asset to there business.

Back
Top Bottom