Windows XP home vs Windows Vista home premium (64 bit)

That seems like a rather good idea, but aren't you then running 2 operating systems at once, which could slow things down a bit?

My desicison if I would be to buy Vista would be to create a partition and have Windows XP installed on one, and Vista on the other, so you could boot whichever you needed.

EDIT:

I guess running in 64 bit would cause more incompatabilites than running in 32 bit also for older programs, or am I wrong there?

On the good side, i run 3D Studio Max 9, and if that runs on Vista (I'm not too sure), then the 64 bit version would speed things up a lot.

Thats what I do. I have Vista on my first boot under my one hard drive. If I'm planning on burning a movie i'll escape to the boot menu then select my other hard drive and load in XP. I don't have 2 OS's on one drive much less of a headache.

Plus its nice if I save a file In XP I can access it just like a partioned drive in Vista.

Also I find to just install the programs without compatibility mode Vista will run it in 32bit compatibility mode automatically if its not 64bit.

as for burning programs for my music i just use the windows media player dont have a dvd burner hooked to currant pc so idk bout dvd buring programs

You can run Vista on that no problem. But it would be best to dual-boot and do your games on XP not only for performance, but for compatibility, as games for Vista are still numbered.

Your hardware should be compatible. But the downside to Vista is that some games have not been certified as compatible with Vista. You will have to look into what games will work. But if you are building a rig with a large hard drive, you can also consider Microsoft Virtual PC. That allows you to create a "PC within a PC", so you can install XP on the Virtual PC for the programs that dont work. It is as functional as an actual PC, and uses all the same hardware with full access. But you have to install everything and make sure that the drivers and such are installed.

That seems like a rather good idea, but aren't you then running 2 operating systems at once, which could slow things down a bit?

My desicison if I would be to buy Vista would be to create a partition and have Windows XP installed on one, and Vista on the other, so you could boot whichever you needed.

EDIT:

I guess running in 64 bit would cause more incompatabilites than running in 32 bit also for older programs, or am I wrong there?

On the good side, i run 3D Studio Max 9, and if that runs on Vista (I'm not too sure), then the 64 bit version would speed things up a lot.

Yeah running 2 OS's on crap hardware is quite taxing on the hardware. Virtual PC runs about 65% of the computers real speed, however gaming on Virtual PC is next to impossible.

Is it possible if you have a dual or quad core, to use one processor just for the Virtual PC, or two if you have Quad, making it run at 100%? Well... minus the cores you'd lose in standard apps, but most applications aren't set to run more than 2 cores yet.

That build will support Vista with no problems at all. I will give you a heads up that I just found out not to long ago. That board you have listed is the same board I got the 680I SE (Special edition right?) If so I would not recommend that board if you plan to upgrade to a quad core down the road.

Go with the NF68 if your even thinking about quads down the road. The board has a defect with the Vcore in quadcores limiting the FSB between QDR1200-QDR1300 or roughly 2.7-2.9GHz. Which also means that board could not even handle a 1333mhz FSB quad core. It would be alright for a Q6600 @2.7,2.8 maybe 2.9 if your really lucky.

If your sticking with the core2duo that board is perfect.

Upsets me I was going to buy a Q6600 but now its a waste of money till I buy a NF68 board.

Heres a quick read about the quad problem with that board. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=84673&mpage=1&key=&#84697

you could run windows vista, but i suggest you get more ram, if not get a Flash Drive (at least 512mb) and use that as ram (ReadyBoost)

Back
Top Bottom