IP Address

Zaki God

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am unsure where this topic is suppose to be, so I put it in this section, I really need help on something. I would like to change my IP address for the internet, the type of OS i have is Windows XP, can someone please tell me how to change my IP address. Thank you.

Well, you can change the IP address of your computer if you have a local network. So if you have a router you can change it. Although, you cannot change the external IP address of your router unless you talk to your Internet Service Provider.

Do you have a router?

What are you trying to change the IP address for? If I may ask. Because you can make your computer's IP address to the router change, but when you access the internet, your IP address will still be the same.

if i switch off my router for a few minutes it will change. depends if you have a static or dynamic ip (i think)
just use a proxy if you really need to do this

Unless you have a buisness connection through your ISP (Internet Service Provider), then you will have a dynamic IP. Static IPs cost much more money, because the ISP has to reserve the IP for your connection, plus they want your money. A proxy can also help hide your IP address, but I don't know enough about proxies to tell you how to set them up.

Also, like dude se said, If you disconnect your router (and cable modem if you use cable) you can get a new IP address.

The way this works is your ISP gives you an IP address. Because you are set for dynamic IP address, there is a lease time with the address they assign your router/cable modem. If you disconnect your router/cable modem, the lease will eventually run out, depending on how long the lease has left. If it is time to renew the lease, and there is no connection for your router, the address will be reassigned to another connection, and when you reconnect, you will be assigned a new address. Your IP address usually stays the same if your connection stays, because the lease will simply be renewed and continue to support your connection.

I am doing this because a forum banned my IP address and I really want to use the forum , it is "Sythe", the thing I have just realized is, when I switch my IP address will it make my internet connection different? I really don't want that unless it is the same, because my internet connection is really fast, and I want it to stay that way.

^^About what you said, I would like to take this into consideration but I need help, I have 2 things, a wireless router and a modem, which do I unplug...and also, I just pull it out...that is all...will anything happen to the computer? And when I plug it back in will the internet connection be the same?

Please Help

The internet connection speed will not be effected by your IP address. The internet connection does not change, but it simply gets a different "identification" if you will, to access the internet. Do you have a router or is your computer hooked up directly from your Cable/DSL modem?

It has:
Touchstone Telephony Modem
Netgear Wireless Router

By the way..thanks for helping me Mooseman.

Zaki God said:
By the way..thanks for helping me Mooseman.
Not a problem. Thats why I visit this site, to share information and learn more :)

The easiest way to change your IP address is to unplug the netgear router and modem, overnight perhaps, and then plug them back in to see if that gives you a new IP lease. Do you know how to check the current external IP on your netgear router?

Back
Top Bottom