My phone snapped in half, what are my options?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hello, i suppose the title pretty much sums this thread up. I was at work at just took my phone out of my pocket (not back pocket) and as i was taking it out it snapped.

It still works, so the circuitry and whatever must be ok, it's just the casing. Still, i reckon within a couple of weeks it's going to break as it's kind of floppy now. It's a Samsung X820 (yes, the really thin one, and yes, i know it was a bad idea).

What are my options? It's on contract with Orange but i don't have insurance. I've only had it 4 months and really can't afford to buy a new one. It's just annoying as it's in perfect condition and i'm very gentle with it. I don't know if it got hot in my pocket or something which weakened it as i didn't treat it any different from usual.

Well I don't think you have much choice but to buy a new phone...I would recommend getting insurance on it though. I am glad I did on mine because I lost it when I was on vacation.

Unless if anyone knows a way to get the phone for cheap, then I don't think you really have any options.

orange might still be able to replace it for a discounted price. its worth a phone call

As i say, it still works, it's just the casing that's snapped which (as i said aswell), pisses me off as i just took it out of my pocket.

I know a few people who work in the local Orange shop, maybe they'll be able to help me. When my Sony Ericsson joystick broke, orange sent it back and fixed it for free and that wasn't on contract so...

I don't know what the orange policy is but I bought a Sony Erickson on O2 from comet on line, then after about 3months some of the keys stopped working but I couldn't find the receipt, I turned the house upside down but to no avail so I sat down and started reading my O2 manual I got with the phone, Then I saw it, in small print near the bottom it said O2 guarantee the phone for 12months regardless of who you bought the phone from.
I took the phone to my local O2 shop and they validated it by the serial on the battery and told me they would send it away to fix with no charge and thats not all, they said if we cant repair it within 3 days I get a new one, I was chuffed to bits, 4 days later I got a brand new phone in the post.:)

I hate it when you've paid for something, and not long down the line, you do something you regret which breaks it.

Sony phones have a tendancy of that middle joystick button going after a while for example as WiredChild noticed, but Sony Erricsons seem to be the most surviving of phones. I've dropped mine so many times, and yet, the camera still works?!!

i got a k800i in january on contract, it just stopped working one day, wont turn on, nothing.. all i get is a lil flashing red light when i try to do anything, never gonna buy a sony erricson phone again.. utter crap.

nah sony ericssons pwn. the red lashing light usually means it isnt charged. or apart from that it usually means it needs a re flash or it has water damage

Alright, go on eBay and look for the casing, then buy it. They give you a tool and everything to do it. It happened to me (my new Razr broke in half and was hanging by one of those little wires that connects the top section the the bottom section, but it still worked fine just floppy 'cus the hinge snapped) Guy at the phone store told me to go buy the casing. I bought the casing on eBay and it had instructions and the tool you need to use to take off the old casing. It was pretty easy.

Juice, that is a very good idea. I replaced my old k700i casing as it was a bit scuffed up and it was easy. There are some fascias on ebay as well, think i might go for that.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom