windows won't start

cdst4302

Solid State Member
I recently bought a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo for my computer. I plugged it in, ran the setup disc and it worked just fine. I then restarted my computer to complete the setup and such and now windows won't start up. It shows the dell screen, and then the windows xp screen and then when it's supposed to show the welcome screen it just stays black. When I turn off my computer and turn it back on it says windows did not start correctly and gives me a list of things to do. Does anyone have any ideas why this happened and how I can possibly fix it?

Can you access safe mode? If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Maybe something went horribly wrong with the driver installation. If you can't access safe mode, try going to a last known good configuration by pressing F8 after the Dell screen goes away. BTW, that is the same way to access Safe Mode if you did not know that. Let me know what you find.

You could also try unplugging the wireless equiptment from the computer. I have seen wireless mice stop computers from booting.

Hmm thats weird indeed... never heard of that before...

Hopefully you can access safe mode, or as MooseMan says, try removing the equipment to see if that makes any difference.

You could always try installing the software in SafeMode too, which would stop any other drivers interfering with the installation, which they might of somehow done.

well i've been using it in safe mode for a couple of days.
i've already uninstalled the driver and that didn't seem to fix it.
i've also unplugged the wireless equipment and rebooted and that didn't fix it.
i've done the last known good configuration as well, didn't work.
and i've done a system restore and when the computer restarts for the restore, it doesn't boot up so it never finishes it.
i might just try re-installing the driver in safe mode as kage said and see if that fixes it.
any other ideas?

So you can't get into Windows normally at all now?

By any chance do you have System Restore running on your PC?

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Check what points have been saved. Try going back to a set point.
If it fails, it'll just restore back, but if it works, you may just have your system back up and running.

If you don't have System Restore running in the first place, I advise you do.

Go to the Control Panel, System, System Restore tab.
Turn on System Restore for the drive you use.
You can set an amount of space for System Restore to save points on, before it'll start wiping out old points.
Its good to clear this from time to time, and simply create a new point from System Tools, System Restore, and selecting to 'Create A Point'.

It just saves hassle, which a computer crash can cause, as most likely if its a recent update, it'll restore back, before a program was installed, damaging your system.

FYI Kage:

cdst4302 said:
and i've done a system restore and when the computer restarts for the restore, it doesn't boot up so it never finishes it.

Although, like Kage suggested, it is possible you did not select a time far enough back, or something.

System Restore usually requires the computer to load Windows for part of it. It seems like his scenario is keeping the computer from loading correctly, therefore System Restore won't work. Try reinstalling the driver in safe mode. Also when you are done, restart back into safe mode and check the driver status in Device Manager. If all looks good, attempt to start in normal mode.

well i reinstalled the driver in safe mode and checked to make sure it was working correctly, which it says it was. so i attempted to start it up normally but unfortunately it still won't boot up.
i'm just dumbfounded at this point, i really don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom