Questions about AMD duron 1.2Ghz processor

Cold_Snowden

Solid State Member
I have two questions about this processor:

1. I have read the post about max temps, and it seems that this thing can handle up to 90C. However is it normal to be running at 63C idle and 71C while at playing Guild wars?

2. My bios swear that my processor is a AMD 1800+, but both windows and linux tell me it's a AMD duron 1.2Ghz. The processor fan I have that was with the board says 1800+ perhaps the processor has been changed on me? But wouldn't the bios know?

Thanks in advance

run cpu z to find cpu type and speed

As for temps well i had an amd duron 1.1ghz and it ran 53idle and 60ish loaded , as it is an older processor the temps will be higher
I would try applying arctic silver to it and how many case fans and what size do you have

yea that whole cpu thing sounds messed up. cpuz will tell you the right one, although i would have thought its to do with windows not the bios.
as for the temps they arnt exactly dangerously high, as you said it can handle upto 90C. on a duron you wont exactly run the latest things anyway so how got can it get :p

Yup according to that it's a Duron. Still strange the bios thinks it's an 1800+

I have a fan blowing on the heatsink of both my processor, and one on my radeon 9250 video card. There is also a large fan (Not sure of the size, I'll check that) blowing out the back. I'm going to try cleaning out the processor fan and also the heatsink. The 81 degree farenheight (about 29C) in this room probably don't help

OK . Also you may wanna try sealing off any other holes that are there as that can sometimes help with cooling . I usually find brown tape does the job well enough
And if there is a hole at the front for a fan adding one there helped drop my HD temps and cpu temp
Another thing what program do you use for temps as i remember when i had an old socket A athlon xp everest always used to add 10 on to whatever the temp was

well I can try some brown tape on the holes at some point. When it comes to adding a fan in the front there is a pathetic amount of very small pencil diameter holes up there but maybe they're all like that. If I can get another fan I'd give it a shot.

I use Speedfan which is meant to change fan speed based on necessity, but I use it just for the convenient temperature output, it seems to match what the bios says.

well I can try some brown tape on the holes at some point. When it comes to adding a fan in the front there is a pathetic amount of very small pencil diameter holes up there but maybe they're all like that. If I can get another fan I'd give it a shot.

I use Speedfan which is meant to change fan speed based on necessity, but I use it just for the convenient temperature output, it seems to match what the bios says.
Ok try that for now . As i said cos it is old hardware i think the minimum temp you are looking at would be about 45-50
Another thing to try would be some arctic silver on the bottom of the heatsink and maybe a better heatsink

Also welcome to cf hope you enjoy your stay . One thing though your sig has to be 5 lines or less , Just warning you in case a mod sees it

Alright thanks for the heads up on that.

One feature I like of Speedfan is I can set alerts if it goes too high. I've got a profanity filled warning for 100C just for fun (I hope just for fun)

Thanks for all the tips

Alright thanks for the heads up on that.

One feature I like of Speedfan is I can set alerts if it goes too high. I've got a profanity filled warning for 100C just for fun (I hope just for fun)

Thanks for all the tips

Yeah i have mine set at 50 for my pentium 4 2.8ghz and 45 for my hard drives
also is there excessive layers of dust in the case cleaning this out helps as well

I have two questions about this processor:

1. I have read the post about max temps, and it seems that this thing can handle up to 90C. However is it normal to be running at 63C idle and 71C while at playing Guild wars?

2. My bios swear that my processor is a AMD 1800+, but both windows and linux tell me it's a AMD duron 1.2Ghz. The processor fan I have that was with the board says 1800+ perhaps the processor has been changed on me? But wouldn't the bios know?

Thanks in advance

Right, as for the temperatures, there fine. They could do to be a bit lower, but it's well within it's limits.

To answer your second point, this is simply because your "Duron" could actually be a Throughbred Athlon XP, but with half the cache disabled. These were released known as Applebread cores. Simply, AMD had loads of throughbred cores left over on the switch to Barton and had to fill the gap in the low-end market - so turned them into Applebreds and released them as Durons. I'm not sure if they made a 1.2GHz verson but I'm guessing perhaps you have your FSB speed set wrongly at 200MHz instead of 266MHz, which would give you a CPU clock of 1.6GHz which would be a speed of a Applebred Duron.

If your CPU voltage is 1.75V, then it's a "Morgan" core Duron so leave the FSB at 200MHz. If the core voltage is 1.5V, then it definately is a Applebred so upp the FSB to 266MHz and enjoy the real CPU speed of 1.6GHz. Note, there is a very siginifiant performance difference between the Applebred Durons and other Durons. Basically it's a calmed down Athlon XP, but with all the bells and whistles including the "XP" series enhancements and instruction sets.

Back
Top Bottom