Hypothetical budget server build (And a hello)

Mammoth

Baseband Member
Hello everybody, I'm Mammoth. I'm 14 and I think I'm crazy because I'm addicted to almost anything computer related, especially hardware and the likes. I even had a dream last night my mom bought me all this crazy hardware like an XFX mobo and graphics cards and a sweet black case.

Now onto the server bit:
If I was to make a rackmount server on the cheap for use as say a regular computer, partial render farm, and mass storage device, what kind of processor would be good, and overall how much stuff (read: money) do I need to dump in it? (Clusters are overall better so assuming I would expand it would be a waste to make one really powerful unit rather than a few weak ones) I was thinking a 4U case with a basic ATX motherboard and a moderately powerful GPU, along with a few gigs of RAM and say a 500GB drive. I'm in Canada so I get fairly screwed over when it comes to buying all this. (No Newegg, so I would resort to Memory Express)

Keep in mind this is hypothetical and I almost definitely won't be making a server. I'm just dreaming about having a cluster in my closet or something crazy like that. :p (Move this to the right forum if this is the wrong one, please)

Hello everybody, I'm Mammoth. I'm 14 and I think I'm crazy because I'm addicted to almost anything computer related, especially hardware and the likes. I even had a dream last night my mom bought me all this crazy hardware like an XFX mobo and graphics cards and a sweet black case.

Now onto the server bit:
If I was to make a rackmount server on the cheap for use as say a regular computer, partial render farm, and mass storage device, what kind of processor would be good, and overall how much stuff (read: money) do I need to dump in it? (Clusters are overall better so assuming I would expand it would be a waste to make one really powerful unit rather than a few weak ones) I was thinking a 4U case with a basic ATX motherboard and a moderately powerful GPU, along with a few gigs of RAM and say a 500GB drive. I'm in Canada so I get fairly screwed over when it comes to buying all this. (No Newegg, so I would resort to Memory Express)

Keep in mind this is hypothetical and I almost definitely won't be making a server. I'm just dreaming about having a cluster in my closet or something crazy like that. :p (Move this to the right forum if this is the wrong one, please)

You could probolly do it for 1200$ or so with a cheap server mobo :)

Also, I don't think we get screwed over as Canadians on buying stuff. Right now im paying lower prices than Americans for almost all computer parts I purchase (which is a ton)

Yeah I always dream about having a nice cluster in my closet, and a fast internet connection too :) If you want any help with your idea, I could add you on msn

Maybe we do pay less, but I feel that my local store has much less selection than what's in the States.

..Is a server board necessary for a cheap server, or is the configuration of things physically different so a regular ATX won't fit?

So memory express is a local store?

Servers have quite a few differences, yes you can run a server on normal desktop hardware, no problem. However it's not truly a hardware server.

I'll outline some differences for you

Motherboard - Servers usually have longer motherboards, and usually have 2 processor slots and 8 RAM slots. They also usually come with SCSI or SAS for hooking up hard drives.

Power Supply's - Servers have higher rated power supply's, usually parts are rated for 110C instead of 70C for most desktop PSU's. Also servers often have 2 hot swappable power supply's.

CPU's - Servers often use multiprocessor capable proessors like Xeon's or Opretons. Servers also often have 2 pysical processors.

RAM - RAM is usually ECC and buffered, ECC is error correction, and buffered helps with running over 4 DIMM's.

Hard Drives - Servers typically use SCSI or SAS drives, which are commonly 10,000 RPM or 15,000 RPM, and are usually made higher quality. Many servers still use cheaper SATA drives however.

well, you can get a used server for fairly cheap via ebay. I purchased a sun netra. it's not state of the art, but will do some stuff. I ain't real sure what you're looking for, servers generally don't have powerful GPUs, sounds like you want a desktop to store stuff.

I bought 3 Dell poweredge 2650's off ebay for 789Pounds + 60 quid P+P each one had 2 2.8ghz xeons and 4GB ram each, but they never had no hard drives so i had to buy myself 8 36gig 15K RPM drives (400 quid off ebay too :p).

The servers wer pretty mashed up though but they still worked, and for 789 pound it was cheap as fuck, money well spent id say :D

Back
Top Bottom