The Truth About p2p file sharing

that is how i got mine back when i did it i would leave them on at night and they would finish and start seeding before i woke up. that was 4 years ago and after like 3 letters and a few emails i stopped and nothing ever happened. i was freaked out though when i was that young lol..my parents were like stop that shit.

The fees are huge arent they? Well, for me, I'm a minor, only 16, but if I was older, arent the fees huge? Like for movies, at the beginning of the movie it has the FBI warning or whatever that says its like 250,000 and 5-10 years in prison?

haha yea scary stuff. this difference between p2p and torrents is that:

Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing is a system of sharing files directly between network users, without the assistance or the interference of a central server. The decentralized nature of peer-to-peer file sharing removes the need for a central server, and removes the possibility of centralized control. Because peer-to-peer file sharing networks do not require a central server, they are more scalable and more redundant than centralized file sharing schemes. PLus its harder to have have these clients charged with anything because there is no centralized hub, as torrents do. (i.e. torrent spy, pirate bay, mininova, etc)

BitTorrent is a protocol designed for transferring files. It is peer-to-peer in nature, as users connect to each other directly to send and receive portions of the file. However, there is a central server (called a tracker) which coordinates the action of all such peers. The tracker only manages connections, it does not have any knowledge of the contents of the files being distributed, and therefore a large number of users can be supported with relatively limited tracker bandwidth. The key philosophy of BitTorrent is that users should upload (transmit outbound) at the same time they are downloading (receiving inbound.) In this manner, network bandwidth is utilized as efficiently as possible. BitTorrent is designed to work better as the number of people interested in a certain file increases, in contrast to other file transfer protocols.

Can someone explain the difference between using torrents and a P2P file sharing program such as Limewire? (In terms of the software, not legal stuff as they both are for copywritten material obviously).

I just hear a great deal about P2P programs ruining PCs.

The trouble with LIME WIRE,WINMX,MORPHEUS etc I found they are more prone to viruses and malaware, where as torrents are generally clean, the ones to watch are programs exe files, as long as you have a good AV and Firewall and you scan the download before opening it you are OK.

they are pretty big fines, not sure exactly, but def. an offense, there are sum websites, federal that is, that have a library of piracy offenses cases for your viewing pleasure. They are all public cases so you have access to them. but yea. i wish i remembered that site

torrents use a centralized hub that ur computer must connect to in order to download, this hub is called a tracker. torrents arent as prone to virus because the hub gets rid of the crap, so there isnt as many files to display, limewire and bearshare always have duplicates and files that are sumtimes and most of the time filled to the gills with viruses or crappy sound quality...limewire, etc arent connecting to anything other than peoples computers, rather than a central server

torrents use a centralized hub that ur computer must connect to in order to download, this hub is called a tracker. torrents arent as prone to virus because the hub gets rid of the crap, so there isnt as many files to display, limewire and bearshare always have duplicates and files that are sumtimes and most of the time filled to the gills with viruses or crappy sound quality...limewire, etc arent connecting to anything other than peoples computers, rather than a central server

I could not have put it better myself, nice.:)

Back
Top Bottom