Microsoft Announces DirectX 10.1!

Whats the deal here. I was reading some threads and its not even going to be compatible with G80 8 series cores. OMG what a joke. Looks like all of us that dropped between $300-$600 on are cards wasted some jingle. ;)

Direct Link

Microsoft is making a tech-demo version of its upcoming DirectX 10.1 available via download, including a version of XAudio2, the company's cross-platform replacement for DirectSound.

Users can try out both via the 468-Mbyte version of the August 2007 DirectX SDK. There's a catch, though: the August 2007 Direct3D 10.1 Tech Preview requires the Windows Vista SP1 Beta which will be available to MSDN subscribers once it is publicly released, according to Microsoft.
ADVERTISEMENT

According to Microsoft, "Direct3D 10.1 is an incremental, side-by-side update to Direct3D 10.0 that provides a series of new rendering features that will be available in an upcoming generation of graphics hardware." The XAudio2 technology is also used in the Xbox 360, and will eventually replace DirectSound as the PC's main audio driver, according to Microsoft.

The new features of the DirectX update includes shader model 4.1, as well as a variety of graphics features, including:

* TextureCube Arrays which are dynamically indexable in shader code.
* An updated shader model (shader model 4.1).
* The ability to select the MSAA sample pattern for a resource from a palette of patterns, and retrieve the corresponding sample positions. The ability to render to block-compressed textures.
* More flexibility with respect to copying of resources.
* Support for blending on all unorm and snorm formats.

The XAudio2 features include:

* Multi-channel and surround-sound support with full per-channel volume and mapping control.
* Programmable, cross-platform DSP effects framework.
* Per-voice filtering, arbitrary submixing, and multi-rate processing.
* Multicore optimized, non-blocking API design.
* Pluggable and generalized 3D spatialization support, with a full-featured implementation provided by the independent X3DAudio math library.

The new SDK also allows developers to use a new feature in the XACT UI, session windows, which allows for multiple virtual mixing consoles.

wow im mad. i JUST bought a 8800GTS 320mb to figure out that DX10.1 will be the latest version in a copule of months..go figure.

i bet game creators are pissed that there new shiny DX10 games are already absoulete before they hit the market.

WHERE ARE THE DX10 GAMES?!?! the hardware has been out for months. DX10 must have been aviable to game designers for over a year now come on!

EDIT:
nvidias line is almost complete. ATI might go ahead because they can build DX10.1 support into there current line and nvidia probably wont :rolleyes:

Ya watch crisis get pushed back some more to be re designed in DX10.1 That sucks you order like your 8800gts like a week before this gets announced. LOL gotta love tech but hey at least we can play current games really really well.

Curious which one did you go with and how is the GPU overclocking going?

Ya watch crisis get pushed back some more to be re designed in DX10.1 That sucks you order like your 8800gts like a week before this gets announced. LOL gotta love tech but hey at least we can play current games really really well.

Curious which one did you go with and how is the GPU overclocking going?
what makes you think im OCing it :rolleyes: when i meant JUST bought it i meant its coming on friday lol:) i got the EVGA and i will be OCing it to my hearts desire so i can get a better 3dmark score than celegorm. HA! this poor little kid with a 8800GTS unthinkable :cool:

im giving my old card away too a distant friend :)
Awesome!!so the DX10's can upgrade to 10.1?

nope you will would have to buy a whole new video card :(

i have windows vista ultimate and it is rated 2.4 because of gaming graphics. i installed direct x 10 and it went up to 2.6? it was a bit weird. any explanation how that happend?

i have windows vista ultimate and it is rated 2.4 because of gaming graphics. i installed direct x 10 and it went up to 2.6? it was a bit weird. any explanation how that happend?

That does not make any sense. When you installed Vista it has DX10 as a default although if your card is not compatible with DX10 it runs on DX9. Are you running a 8 series card? If so you need to update the drivers.

When I installed vista with my 8800gts my graphics performance was 1.0 and aero was disabled. Then I installed the latest Nvidia driver for it and they both went to 5.9 and aero was enabled.

That does not make any sense. When you installed Vista it has DX10 as a default although if your card is not compatible with DX10 it runs on DX9. Are you running a 8 series card? If so you need to update the drivers.

When I installed vista with my 8800gts my graphics performance was 1.0 and aero was disabled. Then I installed the latest Nvidia driver for it and they both went to 5.9 and aero was enabled.

he has a 6 series card. is there anyway to run vista experience w\o vista?

Back
Top Bottom