OS questions.

LastMaster

Baseband Member
Hey.. i have a computer here and im arguing as to wether install XP like all my other computers or install Ubuntu..

Im new to linux.. and well i want to run Steam games on the computers...

Like Counter Strike: Source..

I also want to run Halo and World of Warcraft.. and some Guildwars..

And i know they dont just install nice and easy.. so im wondering..

How hard would it bee to get these games running on linux, or linux ubuntu?:confused:

Well man. I used Ubuntu for about three months or so? And I never got games working. I didn't try my darnest to install all my games because I knew I was getting Vista eventually. But I hear its possible. Tough but possible. I know for a fact a lot of things are tough to get working on Ubuntu. But if you like tinkering its good. I'd say its up to you and no one else. Things are tough with Ubuntu but if you like working to get things working then go for it. If not. I'd say eh.

to get the games to run you could alwase just run virtual machine you can install xp on that and it will be like 2 os's in one :D, then you could play all the windows games you want (tho vm costs money but i guess you could look on bittorrent)

wine can run steam games and wow, not sure about halo and guildwars. You can check the games from their website. (gives you quite a good idea how well they run)

And it's quite hard at first, but if you learn to do it then it should be pretty easy. The first time I was using linux I was like "wtf, how the hell do I install these programs" but then when I learned it (pretty easy thing to learn btw) it's even easier than it is with windows.

Wine runs halo. I have installed it. If you go to the ubuntu forums there are a lot of guides on how to install WoW. I don't know about GW though.

I would just stick with xp as you wont have any software/games issues or try putting VISTA on it, If your going to have to mess around with linux why not try VISTA.

to get the games to run you could alwase just run virtual machine you can install xp on that and it will be like 2 os's in one :D, then you could play all the windows games you want (tho vm costs money but i guess you could look on bittorrent)

VMWARE Server and Virtual PC 2007 are both great and both free.

Back
Top Bottom