Computer will not turn off

...sigh.... once again, I have failed CF in not reading previous posts... oh, well... sorry if i confused anyone

OK firstly what are the specifacations of the system. that would be a good start
and then what is the configuration of the virtual memory .
also what programs are running at the time of shutdown that may help us narrow any problems

MODS CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A BAN HERE​

his pointless posts are just annoying and i dnt think i have seen 1 useful post from him

yep.

2 weeks
Ban Will Be Lifted On : August 15th, 2007, ~12:00 PM
Ban Reason: Just for getting on my tits with constant abusive remarks to members

Ive never come across this error before but have found something on Microsoft's website so take a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/145799
Unless john47 is using windows 95, 98 or 98SE, this link may not apply. At the bottom of the article it states those versions of windows. FYI.

==
==

I have found that Stack Overflow can be a lack of memory (as ssc456 stated) and/or it can also be programming faults.

Wikipedia.org said:
In software, a stack overflow occurs when too much memory is used on the call stack. The call stack contains a limited amount of memory, usually determined at the start of the program, and depends on the language, computer, and amount of available memory. When too much memory is used (i.e. when the program tries to access memory that is outside the region reserved for the call stack), the stack is said to "overflow", typically resulting in program crash if no provision is made for this occurrence in the program. Stack overflows can occur either because too many functions are called (and haven't finished) in a computer program, or a function allocates too much space for automatic variables.

The most common cause of stack overflows is infinite recursion. Language implementations with tail-call optimization allow infinite recursion of a specific sort — tail recursion — to occur without stack overflow, because tail-recursive calls do not take up additional stack; they are optimized to "GOTOs with arguments".

Another common cause for stack overflow is an attempt to create a large array on the stack. The work-around to this usually is to allocate the memory for the array using dynamic memory allocation, which often has a larger pool of memory, and the allocation explicitly fails if there is insufficient memory. Stack over flows often "crash" most cisco and netgear routers due to the surge of infomation having to be repeated over the QoS protocol channel.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_overflow

A solution could be Adding more RAM, or possibly attempting to increase your paging file, but I would suggest adding more RAM first. How much RAM is in your system?

Back
Top Bottom